Homemade Broccoli Cauliflower Vegetable Tots just may be a game-changer when it comes to kids (or even finicky adults) eating their vegetables!!
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making baked Broccoli Cauliflower Vegetable Tots is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the “jump to recipe” button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
The ingredient list:
- frozen broccoli and cauliflower, steamed
- grated Parmesan cheese
- all-purpose flour
- panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- olive oil spray
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- food processor or high-speed blender
- a shallow dish or pie plate
- baking sheet
- small cookie scoop or two tablespoons
- measuring cups and spoons
- cheese grater (optional)
How this recipe came to be:
Not long ago I purchased a bag of premade, frozen broccoli tots in my local supermarket.
Much to my surprise, I really liked their flavor, and even my husband said they were pretty tasty.
Since I’m not one to shy away from a challenge, I decided to make my own homemade veggie tots, and the results were every bit as tasty as what I’d purchased in the market.
Plus, since I’d made them myself I know exactly what’s in them…and now so do you!
Why this recipe works:
These broccoli cauliflower vegetable tots are crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside thanks to the outer coating of panko breadcrumbs and the inside addition of Parmesan cheese!
Pair them with a dipping sauce of your own choosing and you have a deliciously healthy and easy way to get picky eaters to eat their veggies!
Steam, boiled, or roasted vegetables? What works?
I used two bags of frozen broccoli and cauliflower vegetables (the steam-in-the-bag variety) which I cooked according to the package directions.
However, if you’d like to make these vegetable tots with fresh broccoli and cauliflower that will work too.
Just make sure to cook the vegetables by steaming, boiling, or roasting them until they’re soft enough to chop into a relatively smooth consistency using a food processor or blender.
Can these veggie tots be made gluten-free?
If you’d like to make baked vegetable tots completely gluten-free, instead of rolling the vegetable tots in the panko bread crumbs, roll them in additional grated Parmesan cheese and substitute the 3½ tablespoons of the all-purpose flour for gluten-free flour mixture. Then bake as instructed.
How to store these veggie tots:
Keep them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 day.
How to reheat:
These are best reheated in a 350-degree oven to keep their crispy texture.
Reheat for 10 minutes, or until hot.
Can these veggie tots be frozen:
Yes. You can even freeze them before baking, if desired.
Once the veggie tots are rolled in the panko crumbs, freeze them in a single layer for 1 hour.
Once initially frozen, feel free to store them in a freezer container or bag without keeping them in a single layer.
If freezing after cooking, cool them completely before adding to a freezer container or freezer storage bag.
How to cook/reheat after freezing:
To cook from frozen:
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees.
- Place the uncooked frozen veggie tots onto a baking sheet.
- Spray the tots with olive oil spray.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes (turning once during baking), or until golden brown.
To reheat after freezing:
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees.
- Place the pre-cooked, frozen tots onto a baking sheet.
- Spray lightly with olive oil spray.
- Heat for 15 minutes, or until hot and crispy.
Can Broccoli Cauliflower Vegetable Tots be made in an air fryer?
Keep them in a single layer and set the air fryer temperature to 300-degrees.
Check on them after 10 minutes. If they’re golden, turn them once and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes, or until they nicely golden on both sides.
If they’re not yet golden, keep cooking them in the air fryer (checking on them every couple of minutes) until they’re nicely golden.
Dipping options for veggie tots:
- ranch dressing (shown)
- cheese sauce
- dill dip
- onion dip
- blue cheese sauce
- melted butter
- whatever you can think of to turn veggie-haters into veggie-lovers 🙂
The step-by-step photo instructions for making baked vegetable tots:
- Pulse the cooked broccoli and cauliflower in a food processor along with salt and pepper until smooth but still a little chunky (or to your desired consistency).
- Transfer the broccoli and cauliflower mixture to a bowl and stir in the egg, flour, and Parmesan cheese.
- Use two tablespoons or a mini ice cream scoop to drop mounds of the vegetable mixture into a shallow pan of panko crumbs.
- Roll the vegetable tots in the panko crumbs until completely coated.
- Once coated re-roll the tots to form balls
- Place the panko-crusted tots on a baking sheet that has been liberally coated with olive oil spray.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Turn once, and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or dressing.
Additional veggie recipes picky veggie eaters will also love:
*Roasted Broccoli, Carrots, Shallots, and Cashews (shown below and featured in the video)
It’s easy to turn vegetable haters into vegetable lovers with this dish of Oven Roasted Carrots, Broccoli, Shallots, and Cashews.
*Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini Pancakes (not shown)
Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini Pancakes are so good that you’ll forget they’re good for you! You’re going to love these savory vegetable pancakes!!
*Italian Layered Zucchini Parmesan (shown below)
Layered Zucchini Parmesan has all the flavors you love about pizza or lasagna making it the perfect dish for those people who are on the fence about eating their veggies.
*Sunflower Crunch Kale and Cabbage Salad (not shown)
Crunchy, healthy, and completely addictive. This Sunflower Crunch Kale and Cabbage Salad has it ALL going on!! Dig in! You’re going to love this colorful salad!
*Broccoli Cauliflower Vegetable Tots (shown below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today’s delicious vegetable side dish or appetizer of Broccoli Cauliflower Vegetable Tots
If you’ve made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I’d appreciate it if you’d take a moment to leave it a star rating in the recipe card, along with a comment if you’re so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
Broccoli Cauliflower Vegetable Tots
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen broccoli and cauliflower, cooked according to package directions and cooled.
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 3½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees Fahrenheit
- In a food processor, pulse the cooked and cooled vegetables along with the salt and pepper until creamy, but still slightly chunky.
- Remove the vegetables to a bowl and mix with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, egg and flour.
- Place the panko bread crumbs into a shallow dish.
- Use two tablespoons or a small ice cream scoop to drop large dollops of the vegetable mix into the dish of panko crumbs.
- Gently roll the vegetable tots in the panko crumbs until thoroughly coated. Once coated re-roll the tots into uniform balls.
- Place the coated tots on a baking sheet that has been liberally sprayed with olive oil spray. Lightly spray the tots with a coating of olive oil spray.
- Bake the broccoli cauliflower tots in a preheated 400-degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet and turn the tots over. Return the vegetable tots to the oven for an additional 15 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce or dressing.
spatula or wooden spoon
mini ice cream scoop or two tablespoons
baking spray or olive oil spray
Thank you so much for visiting me here today in my Kudos Kitchen!
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s fun and delicious baked vegetable tots recipe as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more Kudos Kitchen recipe information, please follow me on my social medial channels (listed below), and don’t forget to TAG me @kudoskitchen with photos so I can view all your delicious recipe creations! It’s exciting for me when you share them, so don’t be shy!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – BRINGING YOU EASY, ECONOMICAL, AND DELICIOUS DISHES TO FEED YOUR LOVED ONES!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!