If you struggle to get your kids to eat their vegetables, then this Italian Layered Zucchini Parmesan may be your perfect solution.
With zucchini and summer squash still being so prevalent in the grocery store, and in home gardens and farmer’s markets, I wanted to come up with a recipe that marries the idea of eggplant Parmesan, and pizza, but with using summer squash and zucchini as a replacement for the eggplant. I think I hit the nail right on the head with this recipe for Italian Layered Zucchini Parmesan! Try it, and you be the judge!
This recipe is a lot like a lasagna in that it’s layered before baking. But in place of the pasta, the summer squash and veggies are the stars of this show, unless of course, you’re more a fan of the bubbly brown layer of cheese…but who can blame you?
Making my Italian Layered Zucchini Parmesan is easy. Let me show you how with the easy to follow step-by-step directions:
Layer 1 large sliced zucchini, 1 sliced and seeded green bell pepper, 1 sliced and seeded red bell pepper, 1 sliced small red onion, and 3 sliced small yellow summer squash in a large, oven proof skillet.
Season the layers with salt and pepper to taste as you go. Pour two cans of your favorite canned tomato sauce over top of the veggies in the skillet. Place the skillet in a preheated 425 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the oven and top with shredded mozzarella cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle with dried basil and oregano. Return the skillet back into the oven until the cheese is bubbly, brown, and melted.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large zucchini sliced into ¼" rounds
- 3 small yellow summer squash sliced into ¼" rounds
- 1 medium red onion sliced into ¼" slices
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and sliced into ¼" slices
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced into ¼" slices
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 can 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Brush the bottom of a large, oven proof skillet with the olive oil.
- Layer the sliced zucchini, red onion, green pepper, red pepper, and summer squash in the skillet, making sure to season each layer with salt and pepper (to taste) as you go.
- Top the vegetables in the skillet with the tomato sauce.
- Add the skillet to the preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and top the casserole evenly with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with the dried basil and dried oregano.
- Return the skillet back into the oven and cook until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
Tools and equipment:
Large, oven proof skillet
Cheese grater (if needed)
Since sharing is caring, I’m sharing some of the best zucchini recipes I’ve found on Pinterest that I think you’ll enjoy as well. Here goes:
Yum, right? I hope you’ve visited all those delicious recipe posts, and pinned some of them too. I know I have!
And now to coordinate this recipe with one of my Kudos Kitchen hand painted items. I wonder which one? I never know in advance, and sometimes its a struggle for me to choose when I get to this part of the post. Hmmmm. Let me think….
How about this Music Lovers hand painted wine glass? Why you ask? Because it will be *music* to your ears when your kids ask for second helpings of the Italian Layered Zucchini Parmesan, that’s why! LOL.
All of my hand painted glassware items are completely dishwasher safe and non-toxic. Each glass comes in its own gift box which makes them perfect for giving (and receiving). Custom special orders are always welcome. I will happily paint and design from any photo, idea or description you send my way. To discuss your design and for a price quote, please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org or feel free to visit one of my shops to view the items I currently have for sale: Etsy, Wazala or Kudos Kitchen Paints. Together we give the gifts that people remember!
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!