Layered Zucchini Parmesan has all the flavors you love about pizza or lasagna but without all those annoying carbs to weigh you down.
Zucchini is one of those awesome ingredients that takes on the flavors of whatever it's cooked with.
In the case of this Italian Zucchini Parmesan, it's the sauce and the cheese!
Much like a pizza or lasagna, this recipe hits a bulls-eye for flavor and it's super simple to make!
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making this easy vegetable side dish is available at the end of this post. OR Click on the "jump to recipe" button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
The ingredient list;
- yellow squash
- olive oil
- green bell pepper
- red bell pepper
- tomato sauce
- Parmesan cheese
- mozzarella cheese
- dried basil
- dried oregano
- salt and pepper
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
Why this recipe works:
With zucchini and summer squash being so prevalent in the grocery store, home gardens, and farmer's markets, I wanted to come up with a recipe that marries the idea of eggplant Parmesan and pizza but using summer squash and zucchini instead.
I think I hit the nail right on the head with this recipe for Italian Layered Zucchini Parmesan!
Try it, and you be the judge!
If you or your kids love pizza and/or lasagna, you're going to adore this easy to prepare zucchini recipe!
It's a great way to get your kids to happily eat their veggies without any fuss.
Additional add-in suggestions:
- cooked ground beef
- cooked Italian sausage
- cooked bacon
- fresh basil, for garnish
- What are some of your ideas?
Layers of flavor!
This recipe is a lot like a lasagna in that it's layered before baking. But in place of the pasta, the summer squash and veggies are the stars of this show.
Unless of course, you're more a fan of the bubbly brown layer of cheese...but then, who can blame you?
Want more delicious side dish recipes?
*Best Ever BBQ Side Dish Recipe Round-Up (pictured below)
"For me, a BBQ is just as much about the side dishes as it is about the main course. With the help of this BBQ side dishes recipe round-up, your BBQ menu will keep your family and friends very full, and extremely happy!"
The easy step-by-step instructions for making layered zucchini Parmesan:
- Layer 1 large sliced zucchini, 1 sliced and seeded green bell pepper, 1 sliced and seeded red bell pepper, 1 sliced small red onion, and 3 sliced small yellow summer squash in a large, ovenproof skillet.
- Season the layers with salt and pepper to taste as you go.
- Pour two cans of your favorite canned tomato sauce over top of the veggies in the skillet.
- Place the skillet in a preheated 425-degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and top with shredded mozzarella cheese, grated Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle with dried basil and oregano.
- Return the skillet back into the oven until the cheese is bubbly, brown, and melted.
Additional Savory Zucchini Recipes:
Baked Cheesy Zucchini Bites - Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Cheesy Zucchini Breadsticks - Smile Sandwich
Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting - Chocolate with Grace
Corn and Zucchini Chowder - Little Broken
Crispy Parmesan Garlic Chicken with Zucchini - The Recipe Critic
Chocolate Lovers Zucchini Cake - Great Grub and Delicious Treats
Zucchini Stuffed Shells with Italian Sausage - Yellow Bliss Road
Yum, right? I hope you've visited all those delicious recipe posts, and pinned some of them too. I know I have!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the nutritional information for today’s easy vegetable side dish.
Italian Layered Zucchini Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large zucchini sliced into ¼" rounds
- 3 small yellow summer squash sliced into ¼" rounds
- 1 medium red onion sliced into ¼" slices
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and sliced into ¼" slices
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced into ¼" slices
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 can 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- Brush the bottom of a large, oven proof skillet with the olive oil.
- Layer the sliced zucchini, red onion, green pepper, red pepper, and summer squash in the skillet, making sure to season each layer with salt and pepper (to taste) as you go.
- Top the vegetables in the skillet with the tomato sauce.
- Add the skillet to the preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and top the casserole evenly with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with the dried basil and dried oregano.
- Return the skillet back into the oven and cook until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
Large, oven proof skillet
Cheese grater (if needed)
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's zucchini recipe for skillet Italian Zucchini Parmesan as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any comments or questions regarding this recipe or anything else you've seen on my site, please don't hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, please follow me on;
FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, and YOUTUBE
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
Yum...and low carb!
You can get better than that in my book!
What a great low-carb spin on lasagna--and who doesn't end up swimming in zucchini by the end of summer?!
Thanks so much, Jenni! Swimming in zucchini is never a bad thing. It's such a versatile ingredient.
It is that time of year when you can NEVER have too many zucchini recipes. Love the sound of this delicious casserole. The perfect take along to a party. Great as a brunch or dinner item.
I love zucchini. Glad you like the recipe, Gloria. Thank you!
This is great! I love that you don't need all the pasta. I've been trying to add more veggies into our dinners, and this is perfect. Also, I love the add-in suggestions you have here. Thanks!
Glad you like this recipe, Debi! Enjoy and happy cooking!!
Shadi Hasanzadenemati says
Love how simple and easy this recipe is! I'll be making it again!
Thank you, Shadi!!
A seriously scrumptious combination of ingredients! Love it so!
Glad to hear it, Jenn. Thank you!
Jen @ The Weary Chef says
This looks absolutely delicious! Definitely a must try! Love that glass!
Thank you so much, Jen!
Katerina @ diethood .com says
This is my new favorite weeknight meal!! It looks and sounds really delicious!!
Thank you, Katerina! It's filling too. I'm glad you like it!
Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet says
Woah! The cheese action is unreal! Absolutely love the zucchini layers!
The zucchini is good, but the cheese is the best. Thanks, Anna!
Trish - Mom On Timeout says
I could eat this once a week! Love all that cheesy goodness!
I believe I could too, Trish. I think sometimes I'd even add pepperoni or sausage into the mix.
Jessica - The Novice Chef says
Love that this is healthy and satisfying!
...and don't forget filling! 🙂 Thanks, Jessica!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking says
What a great lower-carb lasagna-ish dish! I LOVE lasagna but always end up in a carb-coma afterwards. I'll have to try this!
I know what you mean about a carb-coma. No such coma with this dish, Erin. Glad you like it!
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious says
This looks relatively fast, so would make a nice, healthy weeknight meal, for sure!
Thanks a lot, Dorothy!
I could easily make this my dinner! Love that gooey cheese and all the seasonal veggies!