Don’t be scared. This Hauntingly Delicious Boo Berry Pie for #HalloweenTreatsWeek is easier to make than you may think and I’m excited to show you exactly how to do it. Oh, by the way, make sure you turn up the volume on the video for the full, freaky, and fun effect!!
Welcome to day one of #HalloweenTreatsWeek, and don’t forget to scroll down, all the way to the bottom for your chance to win some great prizes supplied by our sponsors for this event!
Boo Berry Pie is a delicious mixed berry pie with orange zest and orange juice to kick up the flavor. To make things simple I’ve used a store-bought deep dish pie crust and a flat-rolled refrigerated crust for the easy cut out shapes.
If it looks scary or intimidating to make, I hope you’ll stick with me because I’ll walk you through the entire process of just how simple it is to recreate.
**Disclaimer – This post and recipe were created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always the opinions I share are 100% my own.
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions and complete ingredient measurements for making Boo Berry Pie is available near the end of this post.
The ingredient list for making Boo Berry Pie;
- deep dish pie crust
- flat-rolled refrigerated pie crust
- all-purpose flour
- fresh blackberries
- fresh blueberries
- ground cinnamon
- orange zest
- orange juice
- almond extract
- sugar (I use Dixie Crystals)
- gel fool color; white, red, purple, green, orange, yellow, and black (I use Wilton)
The tools and equipment needed to make Boo Berry Pie are as follows;
- large bowl
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- sharp paring knife
- paper cups or tiny bowls for mixing colors
- paint brush
- measuring cup with a pour spout
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- offset spatula
Tips and tricks for making Boo Berry Pie with painted pie crust;
- First and foremost…Have fun with it!!!
- Keep your flat pie crust as cold as possible so it cuts better.
- Don’t worry about perfection, if you’re nervous about cutting out shapes freehand, draw your images on a sheet of paper then place them on top of your pie crust and cut around them.
- Make sure to wash your paintbrush in water before changing colors.
- For more vivid colors, paint 2 coats of color on each item.
- Add water to affix the pieces together, but you can move them around first until you’re happy with their placement.
- Make it as detailed as possible OR keep it simple with only one, or two, ghosts if desired. It’s your pie and you can make it however you like.
- Place the decorated pie on a baking sheet before baking in case the filling bubbles over.
- The colors of the gel egg wash will intensify slightly during baking.
- While the pie is baking, keep an eye on it and if the outer crust looks like it’s getting too brown, cover the outer pie crust with foil.
- After the pie has baked and cooled, use a detail paintbrush and the black egg wash to add the faces on the ghosts and pumpkin.
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Hauntingly Delicious Boo Berry Pie. If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
- 1 deep dish pie shell
- ½ cup fresh blackberries
- 2½ cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup tapioca
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 refrigerated flat pie crust
- 1 large egg
- gel food color red, white, purple, green, orange, black, yellow
Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
In a large bowl, stir together the blueberries, blackberries, orange zest, orange juice, almond extract, salt, tapioca, and sugar.
Pour the berry filling evenly into a deep dish pie crust. Dot the top of the blueberries with the softened butter. Set aside.
Lightly flour a cutting surface and roll or press out a 9" flat refrigerated crust.
Use a sharp paring knife to cut out your desired shapes. Use a spatula to gently place the shapes on top of the pie filling, moving them around until you're happy with their placement.
Use a light amount of water to affix the shapes together.
Mix one egg with 1 tablespoon of water in a measuring cup with a pour spout.
Add approximately 2 teaspoons of eggwash into very small cups (cut paper cups work well for this) for each different of gel color you're using. Mix each color well.
Use a clean paintbrush to paint the details onto each cut pie crust piece. Two coats may be needed for more intense color, if desired. **Note - Make sure to clean the paint brush with clean water between each color change.
Place the pie onto a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven for (approximately) 60 minutes, or until the juices ooze slightly, and the outer pie crust is golden in color. *Note - if the outer pie crust turns golden too quickly, cover the outer rim of the pie crust with foil.
Cool on a cooling rack. When the pie is completely cool, add the faces to the ghosts and pumpkin with the black eggwash and a small detail brush if desired.
Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Tools and equipment;
large bowl, wooden spoon, measuring cups, measuring spoons, microplane or zester, baking sheet, paring knife, paper cups or small bowls, paintbrush, detail paintbrush, paper towels, spatula or offset spatula, water bowl.
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s Hauntingly Delicious Boo Berry Pie for #HalloweenTreatsWeek as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
For other fun and spooky Halloween recipe ideas I’ve shared in the past, please click on the following titles for;
And NOW for the treat you’ve all been waiting for…
MORE fun and spooky Halloween recipes by this year’s group of #HalloweenTreatsWeek food bloggers, PLUS the exciting giveaway promotion that you can enter for your chance to win some pretty awesome prizes supplied by our sponsored brands; Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop, and Treat Streat USA! Thank you all for your sponsorship and for the products you’ve supplied for this event!!
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Melting Ghost Hot Chocolate from Big Bear’s Wife
- Day of the Dead Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes from Pook’s Pantry
- Devilish Halloween Deviled Eggs from Pastry Chef Online
- Candy Corn Layer Cake from ReciPEAs
- Cauldron Cupcakes from Mrs. Happy Homemaker
- Black Magic Skull Cakes from Sugar Dish Me
- Frankenstein’s Monster Pudding Cups from I am a Honey Bee
- Halloween Sprinkle Cookie Cake from Love and Confections
- Chocolate Dipped Brownie Pops for Halloween from Southern From Scratch
- Creepy Crawly Dirt Cup Pudding Parfaits from 4 Sons R Us
- “Guts” Cinnamon Rolls from A Blender Mom
- Creepy Eyeball Donuts from Daily Dish Recipes
- Mummy Bites from Eat Move Make
- Monkey Brain Bread from Pint Sized Baker
- Halloween Cookie Pizza from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Boo Berry Pie from Kudos Kitchen
- Monster Donuts from The Baking Fairy
- Boogeyman Brew from Who Needs A Cape?
- Purple People Eater Thumbprints from The Spiffy Cookie
- Hocus Pocus Halloween Decorated Pretzels from Lady Behind The Curtain
- Black and Orange Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Skeleton Popsicles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Monster Mash Cake from Mildly Meandering
- Graveyard Skillet Brownies from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Blood-Red Pomegranate Margarita from The Redhead Baker
- Halloween Snoballs from The Beard and The Baker
- Halloween Chocolate Cherry Hand Pies from House of Nash Eats
- Halloween Dunkaroo Dip from Savory Experiments
- Bloody Eyeball Cherry Cheesecake Cupcakes from Katie’s Cucina
- Eye Scream Sundae from For the Love of Food
Happy Halloween! We hope you’re ready for a spooktacular event as we celebrate Halloween with the first annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This haunting week-long event is filled with fantastic Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For our very first #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 100 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 5 (five) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1) Instant Pot (8 Qt) to one lucky winner!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Pure Vanilla Extract, Ground Cinnamon, Caramel Extract, Almond Extract, Pumpkin Pie Dip Mix and Adam’s Best Twice as strong Vanilla
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Halloween Cookie House Bat, Tombstone and Skull 3-Piece Cookie Cutter Set, Halloween Skull Tube Pan, Zombie Cupcake Liners, Skull Sugar Decorations
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away 1 (one) 1.5lb Sprinkle Mix Kit from their shop
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a $25 Visa Gift Card
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 1st – October 6th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Treat Street USA ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
I’m also excited to be linking up this post to Pint Sized Baker. Thank you!
Should you have any questions regarding today’s recipe of Hauntingly Delicious Boo Berry Pie with Painted Pie Crust for #HalloweenTreatsWeek, or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!