For Mother’s Day #SundaySupper, I wanted to come up with a complete breakfast meal that mom could, and should, easily eat in bed! These Bacon, Egg and Cheddar Scones are loaded with chopped, hard boiled eggs, lots of tasty bacon and shredded sharp cheddar cheese which are all packing into a tender, buttery biscuit. They may not be diet food, but on Mother’s Day, calories don’t count!
The only problem you may have with serving mom these for breakfast in bed is that when she smells them baking in the oven it’s going to be nearly impossible to keep her from jumping out of bed to come and see what smells so darned good!
BACON, EGG AND CHEDDAR SCONES
Makes: 1 1/2 dozen Prep Time: 15 minutes Bake time: 60 minutes
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold butter, cup up
1 pound bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
5 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup cold milk
2 large eggs
1/2 cup maple syrup, warmed
-Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
-Whisk together the sugar, all purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder and salt.
-Using a pastry blender, or working quickly with your hands, cut the butter into the flour mixture to form coarse crumbs.
-Stir in the bacon, eggs and cheese.
-In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs.
-Pour the milk mixture into the flour and bacon mixture and use a wooden spoon to stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened and the ingredients form a dough. Divide the dough in half.
-Form each half of dough into an even thickness 10″ circle on two parchment lined baking sheets.
-Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes.
-Remove from the oven and cut the each disc into 8 wedges, separating them from each other slightly.
-Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking the scones for approximately 40 minutes.
-Remove from the oven and brush the tops with the warmed maple syrup.
-Serve and enjoy!
In my opinion, these Bacon, Egg and Cheddar Scones are the best of all the breakfast foods put together into one neat little package. Savory with just the right amount of sweet. Just like mom herself 🙂
A special Thank You goes out to our host of this weeks #SundaySupper, Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake. You did a fabulous job Liz!!! Nicely done 🙂
If you’d like to see what other treats the #SundaySupper team has in store for you for Mother’s Day, please click on their links below.
Mother’s Day Breakfast:
- Bacon,Egg and Cheddar Scones from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Chai Berry Muffins from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Almond Prune Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Greek Breakfast Strata from Curious Cuisiniere
- Maple Almond Butter from girlichef
- Orange Julius from Neighborfood
- Rum Rolls from Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Eggs with an Asian Accent from NinjaBaking.com
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Carrot Ginger Soup from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Limoncello and Raspberry Prosecco Cocktail from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Strawberry Salad with Asparagus Mousse from Delaware Girl Eats
- Vegetable Shu Mai from My Healthy Eating Habits
- Chilled Spring Pea Soup from An Appealing Plan
- I Love You Mom Melon Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Spears in a Blanket from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Truffled Sea Salt Shrimp Arugula Salad from Family Foodie
- Betty’s Salad from Jelly Toast
- Brussels Sprouts Kofta from Soni’s Food
- Cajun Shrimp Eggplant Casserole from Food Lust People Love
- Crepes Lorraine from Noshing With The Nolands
- Greek Chicken Pizza from Casa de Crews
- Ham and Spinach Quiche from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Lightened-Up Penne & Tomato Cream Sauce with Peas & Prosciutto from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mac & Cheese Dressed Up for Mother’s Day from Cooking Chat
- Mini Pot Pies from Jane’s Adventures in Cooking
- Paprika Shrimp from Nosh My Way
- Spring Pea and Pistachio Pasta with Ricotta from Simply Healthy Family
- Banana Cream Pie from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Black-Eyed Susan from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cannoncini alla Crema from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Babka from Run DMT
- Chocolate Caramel Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Creme Brûlée from Desserts Required
- Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Gluten Free Lemon Curd Pie from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Cookies from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Limoncello Lemon Pound Cake from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Mom’s Blueberry Pie from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mom’s Coconut Macaroons from MealDiva
- Mango Sorbet from Pescetarian Journal
- PB&J Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Peach Cobbler from Cookin’ Mimi
- Pina Colada Cake from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pineapple Empanadas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Scotch Tea Cookies from Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Shortcake Whipped Cream Cupcakes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Happy Mother’s Day to all your fabulous moms out there! I hope you all have a wonderful day filled with love and laughter!