Is it a pie, or is it a cake? Surprise, it’s BOTH! You’ll love the look and flavor of this Strawberry Orange Pie Cake with Cute Lattice Pie Crust Topping. It’s a real showstopper!
I’m going to be perfectly honest with you here (as I always am). This recipe idea for Strawberry Orange Pie Cake is not my own. I saw it in one of my back issues of Food Network Magazine and thought it looked like something I wanted to try. I did, however, adapt the recipe ingredients and also put my own touch on the lattice pie crust topping with those cute little strawberry accents to up the cuteness factor.
The strawberry pie crust accents are completely optional, of course, but they really do help take this strawberry orange pie cake over the top, making it extra special…and extra cute!
The ingredients you’ll need to make this Surprise Strawberry Orange Pie Cake are: 1 box of yellow cake mix, eggs, orange juice, canola or vegetable oil, strawberry jam, fresh strawberries, refrigerated pie crust, granulated sugar, red and green food color (optional).
This Strawberry Orange Pie Cake may look tricky to make but the instructions couldn’t be simpler. Let me walk you through it with these easy to follow step by step photos and instructions.
In a large bowl, blend the cake mix, orange juice, oil, and eggs.
Carefully add the prepared cake mix into a pie plate that has been sprayed with baking spray to 3/4’s full. Partially bake. Remove the partially baked cake from the oven and while it’s still warm, use a large spoon to gently press the cake in the center to form a well for the strawberries. Set aside.
In a small bowl, mix together strawberry jam, orange juice, and honey. Pour the jam mixture over 3 cups of fresh strawberries which have been quartered.
Gently pour the prepared strawberries into the center well of the partially baked cake. Set aside. Unroll two thawed pie crusts and cut each into ½” strips.
Reserve two of the longest strips to press together to form the diameter of the base of the pie crust. Set aside. Using the remaining strips of pie dough, construct a lattice topping over the strawberries. Once the lattice top is complete, trim the long hanging strips.
In a small bowl, whisk together an egg to form an egg wash. Brush the egg wash over the pie crust strips. Attach the longest strips, that were pressed together earlier and gently work it around the base of the pie.
Use a fork or your favorite pie crimping detail to the outer edge of the pie and brush with egg wash.
Optional: To make the decorative strawberry crust attachments, add about a tablespoon of remaining egg wash into two small bowls. Add a drop or two of red and a drop or two of green gel food color to each bowl and stir well.
Use a paring knife to carefully cut 8 small strawberry shapes and 8 small “V” shapes (for the leaves). Use the plain egg wash to attach the details to the crimped edge of the pie crust. Using a clean detail paintbrush, liberally brush the red egg wash on each strawberry, and the green egg wash on the leaves. Use a skewer to add the small seed holes to each strawberry, if desired.
Sprinkle the top of the pie crust with sugar. Return the pie to the oven and bake for approximately 20 more minutes, making sure to watch the pie carefully. *Note if the rim of the crust browns too quickly, cover the outer rim with foil and return to the oven to complete the baking. The Strawberry Orange Pie Cake is complete when the piecrust is lightly golden.
Remove the pie to a cooling rack and cool completely. *IMPORTANT – Once cooled, refrigerate the pie for at least 30 minutes to make serving clean slices a breeze. Do as I say and not as I do. I tried to slice the pie before it was completely cooled and the first slice out was a disaster. It still tasted great, but it was hardly visually appealing. LOL (see below)
See what I mean? Making a Surprise Strawberry Orange Pie Cake isn’t difficult, it is, however, a little time-consuming. That said, it’s well worth the time it takes to fuss with the lattice crust because the final presentation really is adorable!
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe for Surprise Strawberry Orange Pie Cake with Cute Lattice Pie Crust Topping, then I think you’ll also enjoy the following recipes for:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs, divided
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- ½ cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1 package (2 pie crust rounds) refrigerated pie dough
- 3 cups quartered strawberries (about 1 pound)
- ¼ cup strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar or coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- red gel food coloring (optional)
- green gel food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a pie pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend the cake mix, 3 eggs and 1 cup orange juice on medium for approximately 90 seconds.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pie pan to ¾ full.
- Partially bake in a preheated oven for 20-22 minutes.
- While the cake is baking mix the strawberries, 2 tablespoons orange juice, and the strawberry jam. Set aside.
- Remove the partially baked cake from the oven and gently press the center with a large spoon to form a well for the strawberries.
- Spoon the strawberries into the well on the cake. Set aside.
- Unroll the pie crust and cut each disc into 1" strips.
- Use two or three of the longest strips to press together to form the base of the lattice edge. Set aside.
- Arrange half of the pie dough strips in rows over the strawberry filling.
- Fold back every other strip of dough and lay perpendicular strips of dough over the original strips.
- Work with the remaining dough strips, folding and laying to form a lattice top. Trim the excess dough.
- Use a paring knife to cut small 8 strawberry-shaped dough and leaf pieces in the leftover dough, if desired. Set aside.
- Gently work the long strip of dough made earlier around the base of the lattice and crimp the pie edges using a fork, or your preferred method.
- Brush the egg wash over the pie crust only.
- If using, place and press the strawberry dough pieces into place around the base of the lattice crust.
- Divide the remaining egg wash into two small cups.
- Add a drop or two of red and a drop or two of green gel color to each small cup. Mix well.
- Use a paintbrush to paint the base of each strawberry red and the leafy tops, green. *Note - two coats may be required for more vivid color.
- Use a skewer or toothpick to add the seed marks on each strawberry, if desired.
- Return the pie cake to the oven for approximately 15 more minutes or until the pie crust is golden brown.
- *Note - if the pie crust edge darkens too quickly, cover with foil and continue baking.
red and green gel color (optional)
fork or whisk
I hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe for Strawberry Orange Pie Cake as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you. Should you have any questions regarding this, or anything else you see on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly, or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!