A S'mores Stroopwafel Sandwich is a deliciously sweet and chocolaty treat with a creamy, melted marshmallow center. Be still my heart!!
This marshmallow-filled turtle stroopwafel sandwich will capture the heart of any sweet's lover.
This recipe post and its contents may include affiliate links for your consideration. I may earn a commission from qualifying purchases, but your prices are never increased as a result. Thank you.
- The ingredient list:
- Ingredient information:
- Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- What exactly is a stroopwafel?
- Where can stroopwafels be found in the grocery store?
- Where do stroopwafels originate?
- Ingredient substitutions or add-ins:
- How many s'mores stroopwafel sandwiches does this recipe make?
- Can these marshmallow-filled turtle stroopwafel sandwiches be frozen?
- Can butter be used in place of the shortening for this recipe?
- Renee's top tips for recipe success:
- Additional decadent chocolate recipes:
- Printable Recipe Card
The ingredient list:
*Please note that the exact measurements along with a new "shop the recipe" feature from Instacart is available in the printable recipe card.
STROOPWAFELS - Found in the cookie aisle of most grocery stores, or you can buy them online. They come in many flavors: caramel, maple, honey, and chocolate. You can't go wrong choosing any of the flavors.
MARSHMALLOWS - One standard-size marshmallow is all you'll need for each s'mores stroopwafel sandwich. If you're using jumbo marshmallows, you'll want to cut them in half.
MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS - You'll need two cups of milk chocolate chips to make seven stroopwafel sandwiches. Melting chocolate chips in the microwave in short bursts, with half power, and stirring frequently is my preferred way to melt chocolate.
BUTTER-FLAVORED SHORTENING - I used butter flavor shortening to aid in melting the chocolate chips, but you can use unflavored shortening if you prefer. Refrain from being tempted to swap butter for the shortening. Read more about why this doesn't work in the section below.
TOASTED CHOPPED PECANS - Toasting the nuts brings out more flavor. When toasting them in a dry skillet, use medium/low heat and stir or toss them frequently. Toasting nuts this way only takes a few minutes, so don't walk away from the stovetop. As soon as you start to smell the nuts, they're done.
FLAKY SEA SALT - This is an optional ingredient, but when used as the final touch, it elevates and heightens the flavor of these delicious chocolate-covered stroopwafel sandwiches.
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- microwave safe bowl
- baking sheet
- baking rack
- nut chopper (optional)
- kitchen timer (optional)
- oven gloves
What exactly is a stroopwafel?
Stroopwafels are two very thin, sweet waffle cookies with a very skinny layer of syrup sandwiched between the waffle cookies.
Where can stroopwafels be found in the grocery store?
Stroopwafels can be found in the cookie aisle of most supermarkets.
Where do stroopwafels originate?
Stroopwafels originated in the Netherlands and are a well-known and popular Dutch treat.
Ingredient substitutions or add-ins:
Colorful sprinkles would make a fun addition to the top of these stroopwafel sandwiches. You can add them in place of the nuts, or along with them.
Have you seen the chocolate marshmallows in the store? Those would be delicious in place of plain marshmallows.
Rice or cocoa crispies would be a nice way to add some crunchy texture to your stroopwafel sandwich. Sprinkle some on when the chocolate is still wet.
If you're a white chocolate fan I do believe that melted white chocolate would be an extra sweet treat. You can even mix two of your favorite melted chocolate favorites, and do a swirl. How fun!
Toasted coconut anyone? Sprinkle some while the chocolate is still wet. Mmmm. Coconut and chocolate s'mores stroopwafel sandwiches would certainly be my favorite. Note to self. *wink*
How many s'mores stroopwafel sandwiches does this recipe make?
As written, this recipe makes seven chocolate and pecan-covered stroopwafel sandwiches.
Can these marshmallow-filled turtle stroopwafel sandwiches be frozen?
Yes, they sure can.
Wrap them individually in wax or parchment paper and then store them in airtight freezer bags or containers for up to 4 months.
They are delicious right from the freezer, or you can thaw them on the counter at room temperature before eating.
Can butter be used in place of the shortening for this recipe?
Since there is water in butter, when the butter starts to melt into the chocolate, releasing its water, the chocolate will seize and harden, making it unusable.
Shortening is 100% fat, which means it will melt easily into chocolate, giving it a smooth and creamy consistency that is perfect for dipping or pouring.
Renee's top tips for recipe success:
After adding the marshmallows to the bottom stroopwafel, make sure to set a kitchen timer so you don't leave them in the oven too long. You only need the marshmallow to soften and melt to act as glue to hold the second stroopwafel in place.
Don't press the second stroopwafel too hard when making the sandwich, as you don't want it to break. Firm but gentle pressure is all you'll need to sandwich the marshmallow between the two stroopwafels.
Coating the s'mores stroopwafel sandwiches with melted chocolate is best to do so on top of a wire rack. The extra chocolate will drip off, and the chocolate-covered stroopwafel sandwiches will dry much faster if they're not sitting in extra chocolate.
Additional decadent chocolate recipes:
A Double Chocolate Cherry Bundt Cake is a chocolate and cherry lover's dream come true! It's a rich, dense cake with a brownie-like consistency, and you have my promise that the chocolate and cherry taste will make you swoon with delight!
Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies are delicious cookies that are crispy on the outside, soft, and chewy on the inside with a big hit of chocolate flavor!
Looking for a dessert that will WOW the entire crowd? This easy to make Chocolate Chip S'mores Cheesecake with Chocolate Ganache Topping will do just that...and then some!
Chocolate Covered Dried Cherry Clusters are super simple to make and require only a handful of ingredients. They're a delicious homemade chocolate candy everyone loves.
When you make this recipe (and I hope that you will), I'd appreciate it if you'd take the time to come back and give it a star rating along with a comment on why you rated as you did. Google appreciates ratings on recipes and, in turn, will show my recipes to more people. Thank you!!
Printable Recipe Card
S'mores Stroopwafel Sandwich
- 14 each stroopwafels any flavor
- 7 standard marshmallows
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- ½ cup chopped pecans toasted
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt, divided optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius)
- Place 7 stroopwafels on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Top each stroopwafel on the baking sheet with a marshmallow and bake in the preheated oven to 5 minutes for the marshmallow to soften.
- Remove from the oven and top each marshmallow stroopwafel with the remaining stroopwafel to make a sandwich. Set aside to cool.
- Toast the chopped pecans in a dry skillet over medium/low heat, stirring frequently, until you can smell the nuts. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Add the chocolate chips and the shortening to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on medium power for 1-minute intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Add a wire rack inside the baking sheet and return the stroopwafel sandwiches to the baking sheet on top of the rack.
- Top each stroopwafel sandwich with melted chocolate and use a knife or offset spatula to evenly spread the chocolate over the sandwich.
- Sprinkle each s'mores stroopwafel sandwich evenly with the toasted pecans and a pinch of finishing salt. Allow the chocolate to set and serve as desired.
I sincerely hope you'll enjoyed today's turtle inspired chocolate covered s'mores stroopwafel sandwich as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you will come back and visit me often. Please know that there is always room for you around my kitchen table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen on my site, please don't hesitate to reach out to contact me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with you just as soon as I possibly can!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!