With a few simple ingredients and some easy instructions, you can warm the hearts of your family and friends with this gloriously easy to make realistic looking Grinch Guacamole.
"Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot, but the Grinch who lived just North of Whoville, did not!" "The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!" "Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason." - Dr. Suess.
So I had this idea. A wonderfully awful idea! And I chuckled and clucked, what a great Grinchy trick, with guacamole and some cream cheese, he'll look just like St. Nick!
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions and complete ingredient measurements for making Realistic Looking Grinch Guacamole is available near the end of this post.
Why this fun Christmas appetizer works?
Grinch Guacamole comes together easily with cauliflower fur, a broccoli nose, and some tinted mayonnaise that is used to pipe on his evil grin and his big, bushy eyebrows.
In only a few minutes, you'll be amazed at how this gloriously Grinchy fellow comes to life right before your very eyes!
Then the Whos, young and old, will sit down to a feast. And they'll feast! And they'll feast! And they'll FEAST! FEAST! FEAST!
FEAST on this Grinch Guacamole without a care in the least! 😉
The ingredient list :
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- cream cheese
- prepared guacamole
- diced pimentos
- smoked paprika
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- cilantro or basil paste (found in the refrigerated produce section)
- cauliflower florets
- red, black, and green gel food color
- black olives
- yellow zucchini
- broccoli floret
Kitchen tool and equipment:
- Bowls:small, medium, and large
- Hand Mixer
- Paring Knife
- Serving Platter
- Piping Bag or Large Zip-Top Bag
- Gel Food Color (green, black, red)
- Skewers or toothpicks for storage (trimmed if needed)
How much in advance can this Grinch guacamole be made?
I suggest putting him together no more than one day in advance and keeping him refrigerated.
This way the guacamole will remain the lovely Grinchy green color before turning that off-shade of brown that nobody finds appetizing.
IF you need to make him more than one day in advance...
Make sure to add approximately 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice (not listed in the recipe OR the ingredient list) to the guacamole before mixing and assembling the face portion.
The acid in the lime juice should help prevent the guacamole from oxidating and turning color. HOWEVER, I do not recommend making him more than one day in advance for optimal visual appearance.
How to store the Grinch guacamole in the refrigerator before serving?
Gently press skewers or toothpicks randomly over the surface of the grinch.
Carefully drape plastic wrap over the skewers making sure that it does not come in contact with the Grinch and smear his pretty face.
When ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap and skewers and gently smooth the surface of the Grinch (if needed) so no holes are visible.
The easy step-by-step photo instructions:
- Assemble your ingredients, and bring the cream cheese to room temperature for easier blending.
- In a large bowl blend together 10 ounces of softened cream cheese, 2 packages (8 ounces each) prepared guacamole, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and basil or cilantro paste.
- Blend until creamy. Add a few drops of green food gel (if desired) and blend until you achieve your preferred Grinchy shade of green.
- Spoon the Grinch guacamole into the center of a large serving platter and use a spatula to shape the guacamole into a modified diamond shape, making sure to give your Grinch to large cheeks and a pointy chin.
- Use a damp paper towel to clean up any smears on the platter as you go and to give your Grinch a clean edge.
- Use the spatula to gently push the guacamole into angle into the top of the Grinch's head in order for his Santa hat to sit at a jaunty angle.
- Set the platter aside while you mix up the Santa hat ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, blend the remaining 6 ounces of softened cream cheese, 2 tablespoons drained pimentos (reserving two for his pupils), 2 teaspoons smoked paprika.
- Blend until smooth.
- Once blended, add a few drops of red gel food color until you reach your desired shade of red, and mix in 1 tablespoon sriracha (if desired).
- Spoon the Santa hat cream cheese onto the side of the Grinch's head where you angled his face to accommodate his hat.
- Use a spatula to smooth and shape the Santa hat, and clean the smears on the platter with a damp paper towel.
- Place the cauliflower florets as the rim of the Grinch's Santa hat, the ball, and around his neckline as the collar of his suit.
- Slice two ¼" slices from a yellow zucchini (approximately 2" in circumference) and then use a paring knife to cut two rounded pieces from the bottom of each zucchini slice.
- Place the zucchini slices (eyes) on the Grinch's face, and on a slight angle.
- Use place a pimento piece inside each olive slice and place it on the zucchini to resemble the eyeballs and pupils.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and a few drops of black gel food color until you achieve your desired hue.
- Spoon the mayonnaise mixture into a large zip lock bag (or a piping bag), and use scissors to snip a small corner so you can pipe a thin line for the Grinch's eye lines, mouth, and cheeks.
- Snip a larger tip from the bag and pipe on the Grinch's heavy, evil eyebrows.
- Press a small broccoli floret just under his eyes for his nose.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, and then your realistic-looking Grinch Guacamole is ready to make his holiday appearance along with some chips, crackers, vegetables... and roast beast. 😉
For additional Grinch inspired recipes:
- The Grinch Hot Cocoa from Simplistically Living
- Grinch Heart Rice Krispie Treats from Mom 4 Real
- Grinch Christmas Jello Shots from The Soccer Mom Blog
- Grinch Christmas Cake from The Bearfoot Baker
- Minty Grinch Dip from Who Needs a Cape?
- Grinch Fudge from How to Make Easy Fudge
- Grinch Marshmallows from The Decorated Cookie
You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch. You're a nasty-wasty skunk.
Your heart is full of unwashed socks. Your soul is full of gunk.
Mr. Grinch! The three words that best describe you are as follows, and I quote, "Stink, stank, stunk"!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today's Grinch Guacamole.
⭐If you've made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave it a star rating on the recipe card, along with a comment if you're so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
Grinch Guacamole Appetizer
- 2 blocks (8 oz. each) cream cheese softened and divided
- 2 packages (8 oz. each) prepared guacamole
- 1 tablespoon cilantro paste or basil paste
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons diced pimentos, drained (reserve two pieces for the pupils)
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or your favorite hot sauce, if desired
- red, green, black gel food color
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 round slices yellow squash cut into ¼" thickness
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 individual black olive slices
- 1 piece small broccoli floret
- assorted vegetables and crackers for dippers
- In a large bowl, blend together 10 ounces of softened cream cheese along with the guacamole, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add the cilantro (or basil paste) along with a few drops of green gel color until you achieve your desired shade of green.
- Spread the green guacamole dip in the center of a large serving platter in a modified diamond shape, making sure to give him large cheeks and a pointy chin.
- Use a damp paper towel to clean any smears on the platter and to give the Grinch a nice, clean edge.
- Use a spatula to angle off the top of his forehead so the Santa hat will sit on a jaunty angle.
- Smooth the guacamole with the spatula. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, blend the remaining cream cheese, pimentos, smoked paprika until smooth.
- Stir in enough red food gel until you achieve your desired hue, and then mix in the sriracha (if desired).
- Spoon the red cream cheese mixture on the side where you angled the Grinch head and use a spatula to smooth and form the mixture into a Santa hat.
- Gently press cauliflower florets to form the fur trim of the hat, and place them around the base of his face to form the fir trim of his suit.
- Use a paring knife to cut semi-rounded pieces from each of the yellow zucchini slices.
- Press a pimento piece in the center of each black olive slice.
- Gently press the cut zucchini slices into the Grinch face, on a slight angle.
- Place the pimento and olive slices on the zucchini slices to form the eyeballs and pupils.
- In a small bowl mix together the mayonnaise and a few drops of black gel food color until you achieve your desired hue.
- Spoon the mayonnaise mixture into a large zip top bag, or a piping bag.
- Snip a small hole in the corner of the bag and gently (and consistently) squeeze the bag to pipe out the Grinch's eye lines, mouth, and cheeks.
- Snip a larger hole in the corner of the bag and pipe some thick, bushy eyebrows (on angles) over the very tops of the zucchini eyes.
- Finish by placing a small broccoli floret right below his eyes, for his nose.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with crackers, chips, vegetables, and roast beast.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's Grinch party appetizer recipe as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more!
And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say... that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day!
Welcome, Christmas. Bring your cheer,
Cheer to all Whos, far and near.
Christmas Day is in our grasp
So long as we have hands to grasp.
Welcome Christmas while we stand
Heart to heart and hand in hand.
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!