These healthy Quinoa Veggie Egg White Cups are low in calories, high in protein and fiber, and they're delicious. Not to mention you can make them one day and then have your grab-and-go breakfast for the rest of the week ready at your fingertips.
For a while now I've been noticing that egg cups and eggs baked in muffin tins have become all the rage. It was after watching a particular video on Facebook that I decided to make my own.
The difference you may notice in mine is that I added quinoa to the mix because I'd had some leftover in the fridge and I thought it would be a tasty (and healthy) addition to an already tasty and healthy breakfast option.
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Egg White Breakfast Cups is available near the end of this post.
The ingredient list:
- red bell pepper
- egg whites
- quinoa/brown rice combo
- cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
The kitchen tools needed:
- muffin tin
- muffin tin liners (optional)
- cooking spray
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- small bowl
- damp paper towels.
The veggies I chose for my Quinoa Veggie Egg White Cups are the veggies I had on hand in my fridge. You, however, may use whatever your favorites are, or whatever veggies you have in your kitchen.
These are an especially good thing to make when it's time to clean out the fridge of leftovers and to use up bits and bites of items that might otherwise get tossed.
Also, if you're not specifically a fan of egg whites alone, feel free to use the entire egg (yolks included), or perhaps do a mix of both. Remember, there are no rules here. Use whatever you like, and tailor these to your and your family's taste.
The only rule of thumb I would caution you about is when you're preparing your veggies, finely chop them as they'll be going into muffin tins, and in this case, size does matter.
Danielle wants to know, "Do they freeze well?"
These should freeze very well as long as they’re completely cooled first.
You can store them in zip-top freezer bags for up to 6 weeks.
To reheat, wrap them in paper towels and microwave on medium power until hot.
Or, reheat them in an oven, uncovered, at 350-degrees for 10 minutes.
Thanks for the great question. Hope this helps.
Let's make Healthy Quinoa Veggie Egg White Cups. They'll be ready in a jiffy!
- Finely chop approximately 3 cups of your favorite assorted veggies. I used broccoli, red bell pepper, and shallots.
- Place the vegetables in a medium microwave-safe bowl along with salt and pepper.
- Cover the bowl with a damp paper towel and microwave for approximately 60 seconds on medium/high power to soften, slightly.
- Prepare a muffin tip by spraying liberally with cooking spray.
- Add approximately 1½ tablespoons of pre-cooked quinoa or brown rice/quinoa into the bottom of each muffin cup (muffin liners are optional).
- Top the quinoa with approximately 1½ tablespoons of the pre-cooked vegetables.
- Fill each muffin cup with egg white until just shy of the top.
- OR, scramble entire eggs (including yolks), or a mixture of entire eggs, and egg whites, and fill each muffin cup until just shy of full.
- Place the muffin tin into a preheated 350-degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the muffin tin from the oven and sprinkle each cup with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Return the muffin tin to the oven and continue cooking for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Remove. Cool slightly, and serve.
- These will hold in the refrigerator (covered) for 3-4 days.
- To reheat, wrap each egg cup loosely in a damp paper towel and microwave for 40 seconds on medium/high.
Additional savory egg and egg white breakfast recipes:
- Low-Calorie Egg White Omelet with Asparagus
- Hard-Boiled Egg Stuffed Biscuits
- Hash Brown Breakfast Pizza
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Protein-Packed Quinoa Veggie Egg White Cups.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
Healthy Quinoa Veggie Egg White Cups
- 1½ - 2 cups broccoli finely chopped
- ½ cups red bell pepper finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons shallots minced
- 2 cups brown rice quinoa mix pre-cooked and cooled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2½ cups egg whites or eggs (with yolks), and egg whites mixed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Add the finely chopped vegetables to a medium-sized microwave bowl along with the salt and pepper.
- Cover the bowl with a damp paper towel and microwave on medium/high power for 40-60 seconds. Set aside.
- Prepare a muffin tin by spraying liberally with cooking spray. OR add muffin tin liners and spray with cooking spray.
- Divide the pre-cooked quinoa between the muffin cups.
- Divide the pre-cooked veggies between the muffin cups.
- Top each with the eggs, until just shy of full.
- Place in a preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with shredded cheese.
- Return to the oven and continue cooking for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the eggs are completely set.
- Remove the tin from the oven and cool slightly.
- Run a paring knife around each muffin cup to loosen (if needed).
- Serve hot.
I hope you've enjoyed this recipe for Healthy Quinoa Veggie Egg White Cups as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – Where I joyously bring you easy, economical, and delicious comfort food dishes to feed the people you love!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!