When it comes to making a juicy beef burger even better, why not top it with a few fat slices of roasted pork belly? Mmmm-mmmm. It doesn’t get much better than a Pork Belly Burger.
Meaty pork belly burgers will be the star of your next backyard BBQ. Trust me!!
Last updated June of 2020
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making pork belly burgers is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the “jump to recipe” button (found above) to be taken directly to the printable recipe.
The ingredient list:
**Note – The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- ground beef
- pork belly, sliced into strips
- salt and pepper
- sliced Gouda cheese
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- outdoor grill, indoor grill pan, or outdoor flat top grill (my new favorite way to make burgers).
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
- grater or microplane
- large bowl
- baking sheets
- cooking rack (for cooking the pork belly in the oven)
- parchment paper
- aluminum foil
How this recipe came to be:
I don’t typically see pork belly in the stores I frequent, so when I spotted it at my local Costco, I quickly added it to my cart.
When I arrived home, I divided the package into serving sizes and wrapped them carefully for the freezer until I decided how I wanted to use them.
Pork belly freezes wonderfully well so next time you see it in the market I suggest you snap it right up and make these delicious burgers!!
What is pork belly?
In case you’re wondering what pork belly is, it’s the boneless cut of fatty meat from the belly of a pig. Pretty simple.
It’s basically bacon, but it’s uncured, unsmoked, and usually comes in slab form.
If you don’t have pork belly, please feel free to substitute bacon in this recipe.
How to cook sliced pork belly:
- Layered it on a baking sheet fitted with a rack and roast it in the oven for 40 minutes at 425 degrees.
- You can also cook the pork belly in a skillet if desired, but the cleanup is less if you cook it in the oven.
- I also like to line my baking sheet with aluminum foil because, well, I’m lazy 🙂
What is a shallot?
A shallot is a member of the alluim family and are related to onions, garlic, and chives.
They’re milder in flavor than onions and have less of a pungent bite than garlic.
Shallots have become one of my favorite ingredients to cook with. If you don’t already cook with shallots, I strongly urge you to give them a try!
This recipe calls for two medium shallots. One is minced, and one is grated, and then they’re added to two pounds of ground beef.
The grated shallots mixed with the beef will keep the ground beef juicy and flavorful as it cooks.
Can onions be swapped for the shallots in this recipe?
That said, I do recommend still grating part of an onion and mixing it in with the ground beef before forming the patties.
You’ll be amazed at how juicy your burgers will be!
Can other ground meat be swapped for the beef in these burgers?
I suggest ground turkey, ground pork, or even ground lamb,
The easy instructions for making pork belly burgers:
- Mix the shallots and beef together, but don’t over mix as it will make the burgers tough.
- Shape the meat into six equal-sized patties.
- Roast the sliced pork belly in a 425-degree oven for 40 minutes, or until your desired doneness.
- Once the patties are formed, make an indentation in the center of each patty with your thumb. This will keep the burgers from puffing up while they cook, and will help them hold their shape.
- Place the patties on a preheated grill and cook until your desired doneness.
- Top each burger with a slice of Gouda cheese, and serve once the cheese has melted.
Want more burger recipes?
- Aloha Turkey Burgers (pictured below)
These Aloha Turkey Burgers are everything you love about a big juicy burger, and the fact that they’re made with ground turkey is a deliciously pleasant surprise!
- Double Decker Black and Bleu Burger from For the Love of Food
- Breakfast Burger from Jenni Field’s Pastry Chef Online
- Man Burgers Stuffed with Caramelized Onions and Pinot Noir (pictured below)
Burgers stuffed with caramelized onion and Pinot Noir? Say What? I’ll bet nobody saw these burgers coming!
- Short Rib Burgers with Lemongrass and Fennel from Girl Carnivore
- Maple Bacon Burger from Grillax
- Lamb and Feta Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce (pictured below)
These Juicy Greek Lamb Burgers with Feta Cheese &Tzatziki Sauce mimics the big, bold Greek flavors of an authentic gyro sandwich! OPA!
- Garlic Pork Burgers Spanish Style from Abbe This is How I Cook
- Bruschetta Burger from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Italian Sausage Pizza Burger (pictured below)
They’re the best of both worlds (pizza and burgers), and they take less time to get on the table than a traditional pizza delivery and they taste better than a standard burger.
- Pork Belly Burger (pictured below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today’s easy grilled burger recipe.
Pork Belly Burger
- 1 pound thick cut pork belly
- 2 pounds ground beef I use an 80/20 blend
- 2 medium shallots 1 minced and 1 grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices Gouda cheese
- 6 burger buns
- toppings of your choice lettuce, tomato, pickle, ketchup, mustard, etc.
Tools and Equipment
- baking sheet
- aluminum foil optional
- rack for the baking sheet optional
- large bowl
- microplane grater
- chefs knife
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees
- Line a baking sheet with a baking rack.
- Place the pork belly in an even layer on the rack and roast in a preheated oven for 40 minutes (or until your desired doneness). Set aside.
- Place the ground beef in a large bowl and add the minced and grated shallots.
- Mix the beef and shallot mixture, but don't over mix.
- Shape the ground beef into six evenly sized patties.
- Season the patties liberally with salt and pepper.
- Cook the burgers on a preheated grill until your desired doneness.
- Add the cheese and allow to melt.
- Place the burger on bun, top with the cooked pork belly slices and add he topping s of your choice.
Thank you so much for visiting me here today in my Kudos Kitchen!
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s deliciously easy burger recipe as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more Kudos Kitchen recipe information, please follow me on my social medial channels (listed below), and don’t forget to TAG me @kudoskitchen with photos so I can view all your delicious recipe creations! It’s exciting for me when you share them, so don’t be shy!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – BRINGING YOU EASY, ECONOMICAL, AND DELICIOUS DISHES TO FEED YOUR LOVED ONES!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!