This Pea and Farro Salad with mint and feta is utterly flavorful and delicious! The vibrant green color speaks to the freshness of this springtime side dish or vegetarian main course.
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making farro with peas, corn, and mint is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the “jump to recipe” button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
The ingredient list:
- frozen peas
- frozen corn
- beef broth (or vegetable broth)
- fresh mint
- feta cheese
- olive oil
- apple cider vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- 3-quart saucepan with lid
- large bowl
- a small bowl or mason jar
- measuring cups and spoons
Why this recipe works:
This delicious springtime salad can be served hot or cold.
I’ve eaten it both ways, and I honestly can’t choose which way I like the most.
Maybe that’s what I like best… it’s so versatile!
I also love that it takes about 30 minutes to make and that it takes advantage of frozen vegetables that most people probably already have on hand.
How this recipe came to be:
When I originally started making this colorful salad, green peas were the only vegetables I was planning to add.
However, when the time came to start adding ingredients to the bowl, a little bell went off in my head, telling me to add a touch of yellow in the form of corn kernels to the mix.
I did it for the color, and also to keep my husband happy because he isn’t a huge green pea lover.
However, I’m glad I did because the corn and the peas work well together, and they play really nicely with mint and feta.
What is farro and what does it taste like?
If you don’t cook with farro often, or you’re unfamiliar with it, this healthy recipe for farro salad is a good place to start.
Farro is an ancient whole-grain with a mild nutty flavor and chewy texture, much like barley.
Is farro good for you?
Farro is a great source of iron and is extremely high in fiber.
It is almost 100% fat-free, and it’s 100% cholesterol free which makes farro a great choice for a heart-healthy diet.
Where to find farro in the grocery store?
Farro can easily be found in any market in the rice and dry goods aisle.
The step-by-step photo instructions for making Pea and Farro Salad:
- Rinse the uncooked farro well under running water.
- Add beef stock, vegetable stock, or water to a stockpot along with salt, pepper, and butter. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the farro to the stockpot.
- Cover and cook for approximately 30 minutes, or until all the liquid has absorbed and the farro is tender, but with a bite.
- Place the peas and corn in a large bowl, and stir in the cooked farro.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, Dijon mustard, honey, and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the dressing over the farro salad and stir well.
- Add chopped scallions, crumbled feta cheese, and chopped mint.
- Serve warm, or cold. Your choice.
Additional healthy side dish recipes:
*Copycat Kale and Cabbage Salad (shown below and in the featured video)
Crunchy, healthy, and completely addictive. This Sunflower Crunch Kale and Cabbage Salad has it ALL going on!! Dig in! You’re going to love this colorful salad!
*French Lentil Salad (not shown)
French lentil salad is best served chilled. It’s a flavorful, protein-packed, side dish, or it can serve as a vegetarian main course with only one minor adjustment to the recipe.
*Old-Fashioned Red Bean Salad (shown below)
This fast, easy, no-cook and economical recipe for red bean salad calls for only a handful of ingredients. It’s the perfect chilled side dish to serve for any and every occasion!
*Creamed Cabbage and Spinach (not shown)
Creamed Cabbage and Spinach is a delicious side dish complemented by the flavor of bacon and a touch of lemon for brightness and balance.
*Pea and Farro Salad (shown below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today’s healthy and delicious Pea and Farro Salad.
If you’ve made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I’d appreciate it if you’d take a moment to leave it a star rating in the recipe card, along with a comment if you’re so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
Pea and Farro Salad
- 1¼ cups uncooked farro
- 1½ cups beef broth or vegetable broth OR water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ teaspoons coarse salt divided
- 3/4 teaspoons pepper divided
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen peas thawed
- 1 bag (8 ounces) frozen corn thawed
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Rinse the uncooked farro under running water.
- In a medium stockpot, bring the broth (or water), butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to a simmer.
- Add the rinsed farro to the stockpot and cover.
- Simmer the farro for approximately 30 minutes (or until all the liquid is absorbed).
- Meanwhile, add the thawed peas and corn to a large bowl.
- Add the cooked farro to the peas and corn.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, and Dijon.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the farro and pea salad and stir well.
- Season with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chopped scallions, mint, and feta cheese.
- Serve warm or chilled.
large mixing bowl, small bowl, whisk, chef’s knife, cutting board
Thank you so much for visiting me here today in my Kudos Kitchen!
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s side dish or vegetarian main course recipe for Pea and Farro Salad as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more Kudos Kitchen recipe information, please follow me on my social medial channels (listed below), and don’t forget to TAG me @kudoskitchen with photos so I can view all your delicious recipe creations! It’s exciting for me when you share them, so don’t be shy!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – BRINGING YOU EASY, ECONOMICAL, AND DELICIOUS DISHES TO FEED YOUR LOVED ONES!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!