Creamed Cabbage and Spinach is a delicious side dish complemented by the flavor of bacon and a touch of lemon for brightness and balance.
This is an easy and tasty side dish for any meal or occasion.
Creamed cabbage with spinach goes together quickly and works great with a low carb/keto lifestyle, or just because it's delicious!
- The ingredient list:
- Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- How long does this recipe take from start to finish?
- Can the bacon be omitted from this recipe?
- Can frozen spinach be used instead of fresh spinach?
- How to shred cabbage by hand:
- How to shred cabbage using a food processor:
- Why the lemon juice?
- Is there a suitable substitution for the lemon juice in this recipe?
- Additional vegetable side dishes:
- Printable Recipe Card
The ingredient list:
- bacon, chopped
- cabbage, shredded
- onion, sliced
- spinach (fresh shown)
- cream cheese, softened
- fresh lemon juice
- grated nutmeg
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- large skillet with lid
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- food processor (optional)
- cheese grater
- nutmeg grater
- wooden spoon or spatula
- measuring cups and spoons
- aluminum foil (optional in place of a skillet lid)
How long does this recipe take from start to finish?
Cooking the bacon is the thing that takes the longest when it comes to making recipe, and that will take approximately 5-7 minutes on medium/high heat.
After the bacon is cooked, the remainder of the recipe will only take 10-15 minutes because the cabbage cooks down very quickly once it hits the heat.
All total, this recipe takes about 20-25 minutes from start to finish.
Can the bacon be omitted from this recipe?
Just carry on with the recipe as written but add about a tablespoon of oil (olive oil or canola) to the skillet to take the place of the bacon fat for sautéing the onions.
Can frozen spinach be used instead of fresh spinach?
Yes, not a problem.
Just make sure to thaw it first and to squeeze out as much of the water as possible after it's been thawed.
How to shred cabbage by hand:
How to shred cabbage using a food processor:
Why the lemon juice?
The lemon juice is a very important ingredient in this recipe.
It's the ingredient that cuts through all the richness of the bacon and cheese, and balances all the flavors.
Without it, the dish would be clawingly heavy, and not nearly as flavorful and bright.
Is there a suitable substitution for the lemon juice in this recipe?
In a pinch, feel free to use the same amount of either apple cider vinegar, or white wine vinegar as a substitution for the fresh lemon juice.
Their acidic components will both work equally well to balance out the flavors of the creamed cabbage side dish.
Additional vegetable side dishes:
*Honey Roasted Butternut Squash (pictured below)
You can make Honey Roasted Butternut Squash in an air fryer or a conventional oven. Either way, it’s a delicious seasonal side dish to grace any table.
*Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes (pictured below)
Why not give traditional mashed potatoes a little update? Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes are easy to make and taste amazing!!
*Sunflower Crunch Salad (pictured below)
Crunchy, healthy, and completely addictive. This Sunflower Crunch Kale and Cabbage Salad has it ALL going on!! Dig in! You’re going to love this colorful salad!
*Creamy Mushrooms and Spinach (pictured below)
Creamy Mushrooms and Spinach can be served as a side dish, a healthy and hearty vegetarian main course, or as a sauce to spoon over a baked potato, noodles, or even steak.
*Creamed Cabbage and Spinach with Bacon (pictured below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
Want another delicious dinner dish featuring cream cheese? (Who doesn't, right?) Then check out this FIVE SPICE CREAM CHEESE CHICKEN from Running to the Kitchen and I promise you won't be sorry!
When you make this recipe (and I hope that you will), I'd appreciate it if you'd take the time to come back and give it a star rating along with a comment on why you rated as you did. Google appreciates ratings on recipes and, in turn, will show my recipes to more people. Thank you!!
Printable Recipe Card
Creamed Cabbage and Spinach
- ½ pound bacon cut into ½" pieces
- ½ large red onion sliced
- 1 medium head cabbage sliced
- 1 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 6 -7 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving
- In a large, high-sided skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until just shy of crisp.
- Add the red onion slices and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the sliced cabbage, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Cover the skillet and allow the cabbage to cook down for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh spinach to the skillet, cover, and allow to cook again for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add in the softened cream cheese, stirring well to combine.
- Add the grated nutmeg, lemon juice, and ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese. Stir well.
- Remove from the heat and serve with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's creamy and cheesy hot cabbage side dish as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you will come back and visit me often. Please know that there is always room for you around my kitchen table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen on my site, please don't hesitate to reach out to contact me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with you just as soon as I possibly can!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!