This Chocolate Velvet Cake is a real showstopper! If you're a chocolate lover then you'll love the deep, rich chocolate flavor of this outstanding cake!
This Chocolate Velvet Cake is a sinfully decadent dessert that is sure to please and delight the biggest of chocolate lovers!
This recipe post and its contents may include affiliate links for your consideration. I may earn a commission from qualifying purchases, but your prices are never increased as a result. Thank you.
*Disclaimer - This recipe for Chocolate Velvet Cake was originally published in 2013. I've since updated the post with additional information and a printable recipe card for your convenience. The recipe itself (and the photos) have not been changed.
The ingredient list:
*Please note that the exact measurements along with a new "shop the recipe" feature from Instacart is available in the printable recipe card.
How this recipe came to be:
I made this Chocolate Velvet Cake with Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting for one reason and one reason alone. Well, let's actually make... that two reasons. Two reasons, and two reasons alone...Looks and taste!
Is chocolate velvet cake my original creation?
No. The original recipe for Chocolate Velvet Cake with Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting can be found on page 378 of the cookbook called Taste of Home - Recipes Across America.
Can chocolate velvet cake be frozen?
Yes, but I suggest freezing it without the frosting, and then frost it before you plan on serving.
Can buttercream frosting be frozen?
It sure can. Store it in an airtight freezer bag or container and freeze it for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and give it a good stir before using.
And here is the end result of my chocolate velvet cake! This is undoubtedly the best chocolate dessert I have ever made, and the chocolate buttercream frosting is to die for!!!
Additional chocolate lover recipes:
Chocolate Cherry Bundt Cake is a chocolate and cherry lover's dream come true! It's a rich, dense cake with a brownie-like consistency, and you have my promise that the chocolate and cherry taste will make you swoon with delight!
A S'mores Stroopwafel Sandwich is a deliciously sweet and chocolaty treat with a creamy, melted marshmallow center. Be still my heart!!
Chocolate Covered Dried Cherry Clusters are super simple to make and require only a handful of ingredients. They're a delicious homemade chocolate candy everyone loves.
Looking for a dessert that will WOW the entire crowd? This easy to make Chocolate Chip S'mores Cheesecake with Chocolate Ganache Topping will do just that...and then some!
When you make this recipe (and I hope that you will), I'd appreciate it if you'd take the time to come back and give it a star rating along with a comment on why you rated as you did. Google appreciates ratings on recipes and, in turn, will show my recipes to more people. Thank you!!
Printable Recipe Card
CHOCOLATE VELVET CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
For the cake:
- 2 sleeves chocolate graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 ¾ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- ½ cup butter softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- -Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius)
- -Spray a 9" springform pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- -Using a food processor, pulse the graham crackers until they are finely ground crumbs.
- -In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter. Stir well until it becomes the consistency of damp sand.
- -Add the crumbs into the prepared springform pan and press them firmly and evenly on the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- -Place the springform pan on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- -Meanwhile, in a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips (check on them often and stir occasionally) until smooth.
- -In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, whipping cream, vanilla extract, and salt.
- -Stir a small amount of the melted chocolate into the egg yolk mixture until blended; gradually add the remaining egg yolk mixture into the melted chocolate and whisk well, to combine.
- -Pour the filling into the cooled graham cracker crust and place. Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the center is almost set (it will jiggle slightly).
- -Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen. Remove the collar of the pan.
- -Carefully, using a knife or an offset spatula, remove any extra crumbs that are taller than the cake.
- -Allow the cake to cool for at least an hour and then place it in the freezer for at least 1 ½ hours.
- -In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, baking cocoa, and milk. Add additional milk by the tablespoon should you decide you want a thinner consistency.
- -Fill a large piping bag, fit with a star tip, with the frosting and decorate the top of the cake with your favorite design.
I sincerely hope you'll enjoy this recipe for Chocolate Velvet Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you will come back and visit me often. Please know that there is always room for you around my kitchen table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen on my site, please don't hesitate to reach out to contact me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with you just as soon as I possibly can!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!