If you can't choose between sweet or savory when it comes to brunch, now you don't have to. This sweet and savory Blueberry Monte Cristo French Toast has something for everyone!
Imagine biting into a crispy and slightly sweet piece of French toast only to be surprised and delighted it's been filled with sweet cream cheese and blueberry spread, tender slices of ham and turkey in addition to some gooey melted cheddar cheese. Heaven, right? You bet!
The ingredient list :
- Brioche Bread Slices
- Cream Cheese
- Blueberry Bakery Emulsion or Vanilla Extract
- Cheddar Cheese
- Ham Slices
- Turkey Slices
- Fresh Blueberries
- Confectioners Sugar (optional)
The step-by-step photo instructions:
- Place the brioche slices in the oven at 300-degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes to dry.
- Meanwhile, stir the softened cream cheese with the blueberry emulsion (or vanilla extract) until smooth and creamy.
- Once the bread is dry on both sides (and cooled) spread the blueberry cream cheese liberally on each slice of bread.
- Top one side of each blueberry cream cheese bread slice with fresh blueberries.
- Top the blueberries with one slice of each ham, and one slice each of turkey, and finish with a generous amount of shredded white cheddar cheese on each sandwich.
- Place the top of the sandwich (cream cheese side down) on the shredded cheese and press gently.
- Place the sandwiches into a preheated 325-degree oven just until the shredded cheddar has melted and the sandwich is "glued" together. This will make it easier to flip the sandwich in the egg mixture.
- Once the sandwiches are out of the oven, press them firmly together.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together 3 eggs and approximately ½ cup of milk along with a pinch of salt.
- Place the sandwiches into the egg mixture and allow them to soak up the eggs for at least 30 seconds.
- Carefully flip the sandwiches and allow them to soak up the egg mixture for an additional 30 seconds.
- Remove the Monte Cristo sandwiches to a board or parchment paper and allow them to sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Melt approximately one tablespoon of butter in a large skillet and fry each sandwich on both sides in the butter until deeply golden brown.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
Lightly dust the top of each sandwich with confectioners sugar before serving, and enjoy this Blueberry Monte Cristo French Toast!
If you're familiar with Monte Cristo sandwiches you probably already know that they're traditionally served with some type of sweet jam dipping sauce. However, with my Kudos Kitchen Blueberry Monte Cristo French Toast, since the sweet fruit is already inside the sandwich I've done away with that pesky dipping step! 😉
Blueberry Monte Cristo French Toast
- 6 slices brioche bread
- 1 8 - ounce block cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon blueberry bakery emulsion, or vanilla extract
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 4 ounces white cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 slices turkey lunch meat
- 3 slices ham lunch meat
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- Place the bread slices on a baking sheet and bake at least 30 minutes at 300-degrees to dry out the bread. Flip halfway through the baking. Remove from the oven and cool. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and blueberry emulsion until smooth and creamy.
- Spread the flavored cream cheese liberally on one side of each slice of bread.
- Top three of the cream cheese slices of bread with fresh blueberries, pressing them gently into the cream cheese.
- Top each of the three sandwich bottoms (with the blueberries) with a slice of turkey and a slice of ham.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese evenly to each sandwich on top of the lunch meat and then press the sandwich top (cream cheese layer down) on top of the filling.
- Place the assembled sandwiches into the 300-degree oven for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until the cheddar cheese has melted.
- Remove the sandwiches from the oven and press them firmly to adhere all the ingredients together.
- In a shallow dish or bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt.
- Place each sandwich in the egg mixture and allow the bread to sit for 30 seconds. Carefully flip the sandwich and allow it to sit in the egg mixture on the other side for at least 30 seconds.
- Remove the Monte Cristo sandwiches to a parchment sheet and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add butter to the skillet and gently fry each sandwich until golden on both sides, flipping carefully.
- Serve the sandwiches warm with a light dusting of confectioners sugar if desired.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.