Skillet Blueberry BBQ Sauce Chicken is beautifully browned chicken breast which simmers to a tender finish in an easy to make zippy blueberry-chile BBQ sauce.
This 30-minute dinner of Skillet Blueberry BBQ Sauce Chicken can be on your family dinner in a matter of minutes and with only a handful of ingredients. It's as fresh flavorful as it is easy to prepare.
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Blueberry Chile Chicken is available at the end of this post.
The ingredient list;
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Grapeseed Oil (or other light colored oil)
- Fresh Blueberries
- Brown Sugar
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4-Ounce Can of Fire Roasted Chiles (more if you like a lot of heat)
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Blueberries (optional for garnish)
- Fresh Jalapeno Slices (optional for garnish, or if you like a lot of heat)
Why chicken breast for this recipe?
- Chicken is one of my favorite things to serve for dinner because it's affordable and so versatile.
- When you find chicken breast on sale in the market, if you're able, why not pick up an extra package or two and store them in the freezer?
- Buying organic chicken is also the best way to ensure the best, most flavorful chicken, so if you can, I always recommend buying organic.
- All that said, this Blueberry BBQ Sauce also tastes great on pork, beef, and even seafood. Why not experiment to see what you like best?
How long can chicken breasts be stored in the freezer?
- When wrapped correctly, frozen chicken breast can be stored in the freezer for up to 9 months.
- I suggest taking the chicken breasts out of the store packaging, wrapping them in freezer paper and then placing them inside zip-top freezer bags that have been well marked with what is inside of the bag, and the date that it was stored. That way you'll always know for certain that your chicken breast is as fresh and flavorful as the day it was purchased.
How to make Blueberry BBQ Sauce;
Making the homemade blueberry BBQ sauce couldn't be easier.
- In a large saucepan mix the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, chiles, garlic, and blueberries.
- Simmer over medium heat until reduced and thickened.
- This homemade blueberry BBQ sauce is great on chicken, fish, pork, ribs, you name it!!
The easy instructions for making Blueberry BBQ Sauce Chicken;
- Stir together the blueberries, ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, garlic, and fire roasted chilies.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Season both sides of the chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Brown the chicken breast on both sides.
- Add the blueberry BBQ sauce to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and allow the chicken to simmer until cooked through.
- The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165-degrees Fahrenheit, or when it is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear.
- To serve, spoon the blueberry bbq sauce over the chicken breasts and garnish with fresh blueberries and sliced jalapeno peppers.
The garnish and the flavor of blueberry chicken;
I chose to garnish and serve this blueberry chicken recipe with fresh blueberries and a few slices of fresh jalapeno for color.
My husband was slightly apprehensive about this dish when I sat it on the dinner table in front of him. But, after his first bite, he was hooked and gave this recipe a firm two-thumbs-up sign of approval.
This recipe for Blueberry BBQ Sauce (as written) is sweet with just a little bit of heat.
If you're want to tame the heat, cut back on the amount of fire roasted chiles called for.
If you're looking to kick the heat up, add more fire roasted chiles to the mix, and why not add a few diced jalapenos also?
Make it as hot as you like. It's your recipe now!
Hungry for more chicken recipes? Click on the titles below for some of my favorites!
- Grilled Pineapple Brown Sugar Chicken
- Easy Chicken Beer Bake with Almonds
- Pecan Chicken with Blue Cheese Sauce
- Gingerbread Chicken Thighs
- French Onion Chicken
- Orange Cashew Chicken Salad
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
**The following affiliate links are some suggested products I’ve chosen that will aid you in the making and serving of this recipe for blueberry chicken if desired.
By clicking on an Amazon affiliate item photo, you’ll be taken directly to Amazon.com if you’re interested in purchasing any of these products. You are in no way required to do so, and you will not be charged in any way unless you decide to purchase one of these products.
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Skillet Blueberry BBQ Sauce Chicken.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
Quick and Easy Blueberry BBQ Sauce Chicken Skillet Dinner
- 4 6 ounce chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon grapeseed oil or other light colored oil
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 can (4 ounces) fire roasted chiles
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- additional blueberries for garnish optional
- jalapeno slices for garnish optional
- In a large bowl, stir together the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, chiles, garlic, and blueberries. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken breast with the salt and pepper. Add the chicken breast to the heated skillet and brown on both sides (approximately 2½ minutes per side).
- Once browned, lower the heat under the skillet to medium/low.
- Add the blueberry sauce to the skillet with the chicken and cover.
- Simmer on low until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center (approximately 30 minutes).
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken to serve and garnish with fresh blueberries and jalapeno slices if desired.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's blueberry chicken recipe as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
I'm coordinating this recipe with my hand painted apron design which is fun, whimsical, and true! LOL
I'm happy to link up this recipe post for blueberry bbq sauce chicken to Meal Plan Monday! Check it out.
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you've seen on my site, please don't hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note - The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!