Black-Eyed Pea Chicken chili is a delicious fast and healthy dinner recipe with a surprising Tex-Mex flair thanks to warm spices, avocado, and lime.
In the south, black-eyed peas are said to bring good luck and prosperity in the coming new year if eaten on New Year's Day.
I'm not from the south, but since I'm not one to scoff at good luck or a deliciously easy weeknight dinner recipe, today I bring you my recipe for Black-Eyed Pea Chicken Chili. Enjoy!
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Black-Eyed Pea Chicken Chili is available at the end of this post.
The ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Stock
- Frozen Spinach
- Canned Black-Eyed Peas
- Minced Garlic
- Fire-Roasted Chiles (4-ounce can)
- Roasted Cumin
- Ground Coriander
- Salt and Pepper
- Lime Juice
- Sour Cream (optional)
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- Large Stock Pot
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board
- Chef's Knife
- Can Opener
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Serving Spoons and Bowls
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes 6-8 servings.
I calculated a serving to be approximately 1½ cups, but you may want to add more to your bowl because it's that good!
How long does this fast and easy dinner recipe take to make from start to finish?
With this recipe, you can have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Since this recipe utilizes canned black-eyed peas, the prep time is cut considerably since the beans are already softened.
Can this chicken chili be frozen after it's cooked?
Make sure to cool the chili completely before adding it to freezer-safe containers for storage.
Black-Eyed Pea Chicken Chili can be frozen for up to 6 months.
*Note - Do not freeze with the avocado. Add that only when ready to serve.
Can this black-eyed pea chili be made into a vegetarian meal?
Leave out the chicken thighs, and instead of using chicken stock use vegetable stock instead.
The step-by-step instructions:
- Cut up the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces and brown them in a Dutch oven with oil.
- Add chopped onion, spices, drained black-eyed peas, and fire-roasted chiles.
- Stir well to combine and add the chicken stock and frozen spinach.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally, to marry the flavors.
- Add butter and lime juice right before serving.
- Serve with avocado, lime wedges, and sour cream if desired.
Can this recipe be made in a slow-cooker?
Brown the chicken and the onion in a skillet first, and then add the remaining ingredients (except the sour cream), and cook on low for 4 hours.
Can Black-Eyed Pea Chicken Chili be made in an electric pressure cooker?
Brown the chicken and onion first, and then add the remaining ingredients (except the sour cream) and cook under pressure for 15 minutes.
Additional bean and black-eyed pea recipes:
*Black-Eyed Pea Salsa (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
"Serve this Black-Eyed Pea Salsa on New Year’s day and your year ahead will be filled with good luck, good health, and great taste!"
*Black-Eyed Peas and Potato Stew from My Cooking Journey
*Slow Cooker Turkey Chili from The Rustic Foodie
*Healthy Spaghetti Squash Chili (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
"Spaghetti Squash Chili is one of the easiest spaghetti squash recipes for the microwave you’ll find. It’s roughly 30 minutes from start to dinner. It’s hot, hearty, healthy, and completely delicious!"
*Black-Eyed Peas Salad with Butternut Squash from Sidewalk Shoes
*Wendy's Copycat Chili from Accidental Happy Baker
*Hearty Slow Cooker Chili Mac (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
"This Hearty Slow Cooker Chili Mac will please the entire family with its big bold flavors, and lots and lots of melted cheese! Slow Cooker Chili Mac is an easy meal to toss together on a busy day, and then let the slow cooker do the rest of the work until you’re ready to eat."
*Crock Pot Hoppin' John from ConservaMom
*Cajun Black-Eyes Peas and Pasta from Veggie Inspired
*Black-Eyed Pea Chicken Chili (pictured below) This is the place!!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the nutritional information and instructions for making for today’s fast and easy dinner of Black-Eyed Pea Chicken Chili.
Black-Eyed Pea Chicken Chili
- 2 pounds boneless skinless, chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons roasted ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small can fire-roasted chiles
- 2 cans black-eyed peas drained
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Avocado for garnish (optional)
- Sour Cream for garnish (optional)
- In a large stockpot, cook the chicken in the olive oil over medium/high heat until almost browned (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add the onion and garlic and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the spices, salt, and pepper, fire-roasted chiles, black-eyed peas, chicken stock, and spinach. Stir well.
- Bring the chili to a simmer and cook, uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Right before serving, add the butter, and lime juice.
- Spoon the chili into bowls and garnish with lime wedges, avocado, and sour cream if desired.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's fast, easy, and healthy dinner recipe for Black-Eyed Pea Chicken Chili as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
To see more, like and follow me across my social media platforms (buttons shown below), and don't forget to tag me (@kudoskitchen) with photos and comments on the recipes you've made. I'll see you there!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – Where I joyously bring you easy, economical, and delicious comfort food dishes to feed the people you love!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note - The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!