Spaghetti Squash Chili is one of the easiest spaghetti squash recipes for the microwave you'll find. It's roughly 30 minutes from start to dinner. It's hot, hearty, healthy, and completely delicious!
If you're looking for healthy new spaghetti squash recipes this winter that will warm and comfort you and your entire family, look no further.
I guarantee this delicious and unique chili recipe will soon become a family favorite!
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Healthy Microwave Spaghetti Squash Chili is available near the end of this post.
The ingredient list for making Spaghetti Squash Chili:
- 1 Small Spaghetti Squash (1-2 pounds)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Can Red Beans, drained
- 1 Can Cannellini Beans, drained
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
- ⅛ Teaspoon Cayenne Red Pepper
- Minced Garlic, to taste
- Hot Sauce, to taste (optional)
How to split and seed a spaghetti squash:
- Carefully insert a chef's knife into spaghetti squash, lengthwise. (See photo below)
- Grab the knife handle and as you would use a hammer hit the spaghetti squash firmly on the counter.
- The force of the squash hitting the counter with the knife inserted should be enough to split the spaghetti squash pretty evenly in half without too much extra knife work.
- I like to use an ice cream scoop to clean out all the seeds, but a large spoon with a sharper edge works equally well. (See photo below)
How to cook spaghetti squash in the microwave:
- Place a split and seeded spaghetti squash into a microwave safe dish, cut side down.
- Add approximately ¼ cup of water to the dish and cover with cling wrap.
- Poke a hole in the cling wrap to let the steam escape.
- Microwave on full power until the spaghetti squash is soft.
- Carefully uncover the squash and allow to cool until it's cool enough to handle.
- Scrape the interior of the cooked spaghetti squash with a fork to remove the strands, and discard the shell.
Health benefits of spaghetti squash:
- Spaghetti squash is very low in calories and is a great source of dietary fiber.
- It's naturally gluten-free and can be used as a substitute for pasta.
- Spaghetti squash is loaded with vitamins A and C. They also contain a higher source of B complex vitamins (folate, niacin, and B6) than their counterpart, a pumpkin.
How long does spaghetti squash keep?
- If kept in a cool dry area spaghetti squash can keep for up to 3 months.
- Purchase firm, non-blemished spaghetti squash, and one with a brownish stem, not green.
Additional spaghetti squash recipes:
- Baked Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash from The Crumbly Kitchen
- Spaghetti Squash Boats with Mozzarella Cheese from Know Your Produce
- Spaghetti Squash Pastitsio with Greek Yogurt Bechamel from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Spaghetti Squash Soup (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Healthy Microwave Spaghetti Squash Chili.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
Spaghetti Squash Chili
- 1 1-2 pound spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1½ teaspoons salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1 can (15 ounces) red beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans drained
- 1 large can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cloves minced garlic, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- pinch cayenne red pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, or to taste
To microwave the spaghetti squash:
- Carefully split the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise. Remove the seeds.
- Place the spaghetti squash, cut side down in a microwave-safe container. Add approximately ¼ cup of water to the dish and cover with cling wrap.
- Microwave on full power until the spaghetti squash is soft. Carefully uncover and set aside until cool enough to handle.
To make the spaghetti squash chili:
- Add the oil to a large, heavy bottom, stock pot and saute the onion for approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the pot and brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt, pepper, drained beans, chili powder, cumin, garlic to the pot and stir well.
- Scrape the strands from the cooked spaghetti squash and add them to the pot.
- Add the tomato sauce to the pot along with the hot sauce. Stir well and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for healthy microwave spaghetti squash chili as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.