**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Baked Steel Cut Oats with Banana, Walnuts, and Raisins is available near the end of this post.
The ingredient list;
- Steel Cut Oats
- Baking Powder
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Almond Milk
- Agave Nectar
- Maple extract
- Coconut Oil
- Vanilla Extract
- Bananas, mashed
- Walnuts, chopped
This is what I wrote about this steel cut oatmeal recipe back in 2015;
When I saw Cookin Canuck's recipe for Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal with Tart Cherries and Pepitas, I knew in a flash I had to make it.
I even tweeted Dara (or was it a Facebook comment?) telling her how good it looked, and that I'd printed it and put it on my list to make ASAP.
A mere few days later had me whipping up Dara's baked steel cut oatmeal in my Kudos Kitchen but naturally, I needed to put my spin on it to make it my own.
Since I had walnuts in my freezer, bananas on my counter, and raisins in my pantry, I ran with it and made this Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal recipe with bananas, walnuts, and raisins, and I'm including a wink and a nod to Dara.
The health benefits of eating steel cut oats;
- Steel cut oats are much higher in fiber than rolled or quick oats which makes them better for eliminating waste from the body.
- They have a low glycemic index which helps to minimize spikes in blood sugar levels.
- They're naturally gluten-free.
- Steel cut oats are a good source of iron. Iron is a component of hemoglobin which travels through the bloodstream and helps deliver oxygen to the body's organs and tissues.
As if all of that is not enough...
The texture of this baked steel cut oatmeal is truly incredible. I love the heartiness that each spoonful transports to my waiting taste buds and hungry tummy knowing that both will be happy, and satisfied!
Plus, as a bonus, there will be no more of that pesky growling and grumbling from my stomach until lunchtime.
I like to pour additional almond milk over the top of my baked steel cut oats before serving, along with a sprinkling of extra raisins, but you be the judge as to how you're going to serve yours.
If you're not serving a large family why not plan on making this steel cut oatmeal recipe early in the week (on or the weekend) and then you'll have an easy no-fuss breakfast all week long.
How about topping it with some additional banana slices? Additional walnuts? A drizzle of maple syrup? Or what about my way with a bit more almond milk and a few extra raisins? Yes, please!! 🙂
How to make healthy baked steel cut oats;
- Mix the oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mashed banana, almond milk, agave, coconut oil, egg, and extracts.
- Add the walnuts and raisins in with the dry ingredients.
- Stir the almond milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into an 8"x8" baking dish that has been sprayed with baking spray and bake until set and golden.
- Cool the oatmeal slightly and then spoon into bowls and serve as desired.
For additional healthy breakfast suggestions, please click on the following titles for;
- Blood Orange Blueberry Breakfast Smoothie
- Quinoa Veggie Egg White Cups
- Pineapple Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie
**The following affiliate links are some suggested products I’ve chosen that will aid you in the making and serving of this recipe for Healthy Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal with Banana, Walnuts, and Raisins if desired.
Healthy Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal with Banana, Walnuts, and Raisins
- ¾ cup steel cut oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 overripe bananas mashed
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1 cup raisins, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add in the raisins and walnuts. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk, agave, melted coconut oil, maple extract, vanilla extract, egg, and bananas.
- Pour the almond milk mixture into the oat mixture and stir well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into an 8x8 baking dish that has been sprayed with baking spray.
- Bake in a preheated oven until the oatmeal golden brown and set in the middle (about 60 minutes).
- Allow to cool slightly and then spoon oatmeal into bowls and serve as desired.
Warm from the oven, this is one tasty and nutritious whole grain breakfast of Baked Steel Cut Oats is one you'll feel good about feeding your family!
Baked steel cut oatmeal with bananas, walnuts and raisins will stick to your ribs all morning long, and right up until lunchtime! Get it? Hence my x-ray technician hand painted coffee mug! LOL
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's steel cut oat oatmeal recipe as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you've seen on my site, please don't hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note - The post above includes affiliate links. When I find a great product or service, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn a commission for my recommendations. As always, I thank you for your support!