Baked Farro Casserole with Butternut Squash, Bacon, and Brussels Sprouts is a deliciously savory dish with plenty of healthy whole grains and tons of texture and taste.
Baked Farro Casserole is a dish that could (and should) become a family staple on your Thanksgiving table, and beyond.
Not only is it delicious and nutritious, but it also features all those lovely fall colors which are a feast for your eyes as well as your taste buds.
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions and complete ingredient measurements for making Baked Farro Casserole with Butternut Squash, Bacon & Brussels Sprouts is available near the end of this post. Or you can click on the “jump to recipe” button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
This recipe was originally shared in 2015. This post has been updated with additional information, including a recipe card complete with nutritional information, but the recipe itself has remained unchanged.
The ingredient list:
- cubed butternut squash
- fresh Brussels sprouts, halved or quartered
- white wine
- beef broth
- Parmesan cheese
- smoked paprika
- salt & pepper
How to make Baked Farro Casserole:
- Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- In the bacon fat left in the pan, add the butter and saute the butternut squash, onion, and Brussels sprouts for approximately 5 – 7 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic, nutmeg, and smoked paprika.
- Return the bacon back to the pan and stir well.
- Stir the farro into the pan and add the white wine and beef broth. Stir well.
- Carefully pour the farro mixture into a 6-quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with baking spray. Cover the dish.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over top.
- Return the casserole to the oven (uncovered) for an additional 10 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Additional delicious side dishes:
- Farro and Onion Casserole
- Pea and Farro Salad with Mint and Feta
- Autumn Harvest Chopped Fruit and Vegetable Salad
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts & Apples
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today’s baked farro side dish with vegetables.
If you’ve made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I’d appreciate it if you’d take a moment to leave it a star rating in the recipe card, along with a comment if you’re so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
Baked Farro Casserole with Butternut Squash, Bacon & Brussels Sprouts
- ¼ pound bacon, cooked and drained
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved or quartered
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1½ cups farro
- 1 cup white wine, dry
- 2 cups beef broth, or stock
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the bacon in a large pot until brown and cooked. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings in the skillet. Add the onion, butternut squash, and Brussels sprouts into the pan along with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg, garlic, paprika and the bacon.
- Add the farro to the pot, stirring to thoroughly combine all the ingredients.
- Add the wine and beef stock and simmer for 5-10 minutes over medium heat.
- Transfer the mixture into a 6-quart baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cover the baking dish and bake in a preheated oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove the cover and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over top. Return the casserole back into the oven (uncovered) for 5-10 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve and enjoy.
I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s recipe for Baked Farro Casserole as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me here today in my Kudos Kitchen!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more Kudos Kitchen recipe information, please follow me on my social medial channels (listed below), and don’t forget to TAG me @kudoskitchen with photos so I can view all your delicious recipe creations! It’s exciting for me when you share them, so don’t be shy!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – BRINGING YOU EASY, ECONOMICAL, AND DELICIOUS DISHES TO FEED YOUR LOVED ONES!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!