Chocolate Chip Dessert Loaf with Coconut and Pecans is rich and decadent. A small slice will go a long way in satisfying your sweet tooth…but a large slice is even better! LOL
I’m not usually one for dessert after dinner, nor do I have a large sweet tooth. However, I’m a complete sucker for anything with coconut and pecans, so a small slice of this Chocolate Chop Dessert Loaf with Coconut and Pecans is definitely one of my favorite after dinner treats.
Do you remember toll house cookie bars from back-in-the-day? For those of you who don’t remember, a toll house cookie bar was chocolate chip cookie on steroids. They had all the flavor of a traditional chocolate chip cookie, but they were baked in a jelly roll pan which made them thicker and chewier than a traditional chocolate chip cookie.
This Chocolate Chip Dessert Loaf with Coconut and Pecans reminds me very much of a toll house cookie bar….only better…and in loaf form.
For quick video instructions on making this Chocolate Chip Dessert Loaf, I hope you enjoy the video posted below:
The grocery list of ingredients to make this chocolate chip dessert loaf is relatively short, and if you’re fond of baking, you probably have most of the items already in your pantry and fridge. They are; all-purpose flour, salt baking powder, baking soda, butter, brown sugar, eggs, pure vanilla extract, flaked sweetened coconut, semi sweet chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
Make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature before you start baking. A quick tip to bring cold eggs to room temperature is to soak them in a bowl of warm water for 10-15 minutes. The reason that room temperature eggs are better for baking is that they’ll better incorporate themselves evenly throughout the batter.
Another helpful tip I have to share with you is for softening butter quickly. Fill a glass with hot water. Allow the hot water to sit in the glass for 30 seconds. Pour the hot water out of the glass and immediately place the amount of butter needed under the glass and allow to sit for 60 seconds. Viola! Perfectly softened butter which is extremely important when creaming butter and sugar together for baking.
Mmmm. Look how wonderfully studded the inside of that loaf is with chocolate chips, coconut and pecans. Then, if all that isn’t enough I decided to top the entire loaf off with a rich and creamy chocolate ganache, because, well, just because. If you’re going to indulge, you might as well go all the way, right?
Making a chocolate ganache couldn’t be easier. It’s really as easy as adding hot, heavy cream to chocolate chips and then stirring them together until the chocolate is melted and creamy. It takes about 90 seconds and the results will win you rave reviews! Trust me!
Ready to make your very own Chocolate Chip Dessert Loaf with Coconut and Pecans? Great. Let’s begin!
In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to blend the softened butter and brown sugar together. Add 4 eggs, one at a time, to the butter sugar mixture beating after each egg.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir well to combine.
Once the batter is thoroughly mixed add in the coconut, chocolate chips and pecans.
Stir well to combine all the ingredients and then spoon the batter evenly into a greased loaf pan. Bake the loaf in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 60 minutes.
To make the chocolate ganache, pour hot cream over chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate is melted and creamy. Pour the ganache evenly over the cooled chocolate chip dessert loaf, and top with flaked coconut, if desired.
Slice and enjoy!
For some of my other tasty recipes featuring chocolate chips (white and semi-sweet), please check out the following:
And now, without further ado, here is the printable recipe for Chocolate Chip Dessert Loaf 🙂
- 1½ sticks of butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ cups sweetened flaked coconut, reserving 2 tablespoons for topping (if desired)
- 2½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- baking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare a loaf pan by spraying liberally with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the softened butter and the brown sugar.
- Add the room temperature eggs, one at a time, to the butter/sugar mixture beating after each egg.
- Scrape down the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Use a spatula or wooden spoon to stir half of the flour mixture into the butter/sugar mixture. Stir well.
- Stir the remaining flour mixture into the butter/sugar mixture and stir until no more flour is visible. *Note - this is a heavy, dense dough.
- Once thoroughly mixed stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips, the flaked coconut (minus two tablespoons for topping, if desired), and the pecans.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared loaf pan and bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for approximately 60 minutes, or until a skewer or toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake to a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Turn the cake out of the pan and continue cooling the cake on the rack until completely cooled.
- To make the ganache:
- Place the remaining 1½ cups of chocolate chips into a small bowl.
- Heat the heavy cream to just below boiling.
- Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Pour or spoon the chocolate ganache liberally over the cooled chocolate chip dessert loaf and top with additional flaked coconut if desired.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
1 large bowl
1 medium bowl
1 small bowl
spatula or wooden spoon
The following Amazon.com items are some suggested products I’ve chosen that will aid you in the making of this recipe for Chocolate Chip Dessert Loaf, if needed. By clicking on the item, you’ll be taken directly to Amazon.com if you’re interested in purchasing any of these products. You are in no way required to do so, and you will not be charged in any way unless you decide to purchase a product through Amazon.
I’ve decided to coordinate this recipe for chocolate chip dessert loaf with my recipe/cookbook lovers hand painted coffee mug which is available for purchase in my shop. After all, what goes better with a slice of dessert than a nice cup of hot coffee or tea, and a great cookbook to peruse while you relax and enjoy! “So many recipes, so little time!”
All of my hand painted glassware items are shipped to order and unique. Each item comes in its own gift box making them perfect for giving. Personalization is always free. Custom orders are always welcome and I will gladly paint and design from any photo, idea, or description you send my way. For a quote on a custom item, please contact me directly to discuss your design.
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
The post above includes affiliate links. When I find a great product or service, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn commission for my recommendations. As always, I thank you for your support!