Upgrade your oven roasted asparagus with this easy to make thick and Creamy Avocado Hollandaise Sauce. Your taste buds will thank you!
If you’ve never made your own hollandaise sauce before, let me be the first to tell you that it’s one of the easiest sauces you can make at home. You can either make it in a blender, on the stovetop, or in a food processor as I did. The trick to making this buttery, tangy sauce thick and creamy is to temper egg yolks with a tiny bit of hot butter. By adding more hot butter, little by little, the sauce thickens in only a matter of minutes. It’s truly magical!
After making the standard hollandaise sauce, the secret to making my Creamy Avocado Hollandaise Sauce is simple. By adding ripe avocado, a splash or two of hot sauce, and finally a squeeze of fresh lime juice for a unique twist on all the other hollandaise sauce recipes out there. Dare to be different! 🙂
Click on the video below to watch the recipe for Creamy Avocado Hollandaise Sauce Over Oven Roasted Asparagus in video form:
To make Creamy Avocado Hollandaise Sauce over Roasted Asparagus you only need a handful of ingredients. They are: asparagus, butter, eggs (yolks only), salt, pepper, fresh lime juice, ripe avocado, and hot sauce (optional).
If you have 10 minutes to spare, you’re are well on your way to treating yourself (and your family) to something special. Ready? Let’s cook!
Use a food processor to mix the egg yolks. Slowly stream in a little bit of hot butter to the egg yolks and continue to mix. Add a little more hot butter, mix, add a little more hot butter, mix, (etcetera) until all the melted butter is incorporated in the egg yolks. The sauce will become pale in color and thick.
Squeeze fresh lime juice into the sauce and add 1 ripe avocado (skin and pit removed).
Add a splash (or two) of hot sauce (optional) to the food processor. Return the cover to the processor and process until the sauce is smooth and creamy. If desired, add a touch of olive oil and process again if you’d like your creamy avocado hollandaise sauce a little looser.
Season fresh asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast the asparagus in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Pour the creamy avocado hollandaise sauce over the roasted asparagus and serve immediately.
This creamy avocado hollandaise sauce would be a welcome addition over just about any vegetable. I think it will be especially delicious over seasonal roasted Brussels sprouts in the fall, and roasted broccoli all year round. Also, by mixing it in with a touch of buttermilk you’ve got a creamy and delicious dressing to go over the top of your favorite salad.
Of course, you can always serve this creamy avocado hollandaise sauce over eggs on top of English muffins or toast for a delicious twist on the standard eggs Benedict. Then, add the roasted asparagus to the top of the eggs and pour on some creamy avocado hollandaise sauce. Breakfast, brunch, or dinner will never be the same!
There is nothing like fresh, springtime asparagus so I’m always looking for new and delicious ways to serve it while it’s on sale in the grocery store. Asparagus is one of my all time favorite vegetables so you can bet I have a lot of asparagus recipes on my blog that I’ve shared over the years. If you’re hungry for more delicious springtime asparagus recipes, please click on the tempting titles below to find tasty new recipes that will incorporate asparagus into your family meals while it is at its very peak of flavor!
And now, without further ado, here’s the printable version for today’s featured recipe of: Creamy Avocado Hollandaise Sauce Over Oven Roasted Asparagus.
- FOR THE ROASTED ASPARAGUS:
- 1 pound of fresh asparagus, trimmed of its woody ends.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- FOR THE CREAMY AVOCADO HOLLANDAISE SAUCE:
- 3 large egg yolks
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted and hot
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 1 ripe avocado, skin and pit removed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
- hot sauce to taste, optional
- Additional olive oil (if desired) to thin the sauce.
- TO MAKE THE ROASTED ASPARAGUS:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the trimmed asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Season the asparagus with salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat the asparagus with the oil.
- Roast in a preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- TO MAKE THE CREAMY AVOCADO HOLLANDAISE SAUCE:
- Process the egg yolks in a food processor until blended.
- Slowly add about 1 tablespoon of the hot butter to the processor and process with the egg yolks to temper the yolks.
- Slowly add more butter to the yolks, a little at a time. until all the butter has been added to the yolks and they've become thick and pale yellow in color.
- Remove the cover from the processor and squeeze in the fresh lime juice, and add the avocado.
- Season with the salt and pepper and add the hot sauce, if desired.
- Continue to process the sauce until it's thick and creamy.
- *Note - If the sauce is too thick, add additional olive oil to the processor until you've achieved your desired consistency.
- Plate the roasted asparagus and drizzle the the creamy avocado hollandaise sauce.
- Serve hot.
food processor or blender
*Note - If using a blender follow the exact same instructions.
I’m please as punch to be linking up with post with Meal Plan Monday!
I’m coordinating this recipe post with one of my all time favorite (and one of my most popular), hand painted apron designs. This Julia Child Cooking Quote apron design can be ordered by contacting me directly, or by visiting my shop. All of my hand painted aprons are painted to order and unique. Each apron I paint on is a 65/35 cotton poly blend. They each have adjustable neck straps, extra long ties, and two large front pockets. Aprons are available in black or white and they make excellent gifts!
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, from fabrics (aprons, tea towels, or book bags) to glassware items, please don’t hesitate to contact me or visit my shop. Custom orders are always welcome and I will happily paint and design from any idea, photo, or description you send my way.
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!