Turkey Meatballs with Orange and Cashews will be the best turkey meatballs you've ever had. They're light, tender, and incredibly flavorful!
These delicious turkey meatballs are as light as air, and they have the lovely, vibrant flavors that only orange and cilantro can provide.
But the thing that really puts these meatballs on the map is one of my favorite nuts of all time...CASHEWS!! Need I say more?!?
The ingredient list:
- Ground Turkey
- Quick Cooking Oats
- Cream Cheese
- Red Onion
- Navel Orange
- Salt and Pepper
- All-Purpose Flour
- Chicken Stock
- Brown Sugar
At first glance, you might think this is an unusual recipe list, and I wouldn't blame you in the least.
It's certainly not your conventional meatball recipe, but that's what I love so much about these delectably delicious turkey meatballs with orange and cashews.
The oatmeal gives the meatballs their lightness in texture, and the cream cheese keeps the turkey from being dry and flavorless, as turkey sometimes can be.
The fresh and vibrant taste supplied by the orange and cilantro adds the perfect accompaniment to this turkey meatball's unique flavor.
Don't like cilantro?
Try substituting fresh parsley or even chopped mint. I think the mint flavor would be a lovely compliment to the orange flavor in these meatballs.
However, if you can give cilantro another chance and focus on its citrusy notes I think you'll be well pleased with the addition of the cilantro in this recipe! Come on...you can do it!!
**This post is being updated from the original publication in 2013. The recipe has remained completely unchanged from the original post with only the photos being updated. This article now also includes a video presentation along with a printable recipe card including nutritional information.
I've made these turkey meatballs before as a hearty main course, and also as an appetizer. When I make them as appetizers, I make them a little smaller in size than I do when making them for a family dinner.
I've written today's printable recipe card with the meatball size being approximately that of a golf ball, with the yield being between 20-24 meatballs.
These turkey meatballs with orange and cashews are always a hit! Whenever I serve them I have people asking me for the recipe, and now it's your opportunity to have people ask you for it too!
Additional meatball recipes:
- Asian Meatballs with Pork and Beef from Masala Herb
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cajun Chicken Meatballs in Creamy Sauce from Lemon Blossoms
- Easy Sweedish Meatballs from Like Mother Like Daughter
- German Meatballs with Caraway Mushroom Cream Sauce (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Turkey Meatballs with Orange and Cashews.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
Printable Recipe Card
Turkey Meatballs with Orange and Cashews
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1½ cups quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- ½ cup grated onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro plus additional for garnish
- ½ cup chopped cashews cut back on the salt if using salted cashews
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper for dredging
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
To make the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
To make the meatballs:
- In a shallow dish, mix the 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the turkey, oats, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, grated onion, chopped cilantro, cashews, orange zest, and the cream cheese until well combined.
- Roll the turkey mixture into golf ball sized balls and roll them each into the seasoned flour.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium/high heat, working in batches, fry the meatballs in the oil until browned on all sides.
- Remove the browned meatballs from the skillet and place in a baking dish.
- Bake the meatballs in a preheated oven for 15 minutes while preparing the sauce.
To make the sauce:
- Reduce the heat in the skillet to medium. Melt the butter and add the flour. Stir well to make the roux.
- Add the finely minced onions to the roux and cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the orange juice, chicken broth, brown sugar, orange zest, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir well and simmer on low for 7-10 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly
- Spoon the sauce over the meatballs and garnish with additional chopped cilantro (if desired). Serve as a main course or appetizer.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for Turkey Meatballs with Orange and Cashews as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – Where I joyously bring you easy, economical, and delicious comfort food dishes to feed the people you love!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!