Even though this recipe is called MEYER Lemon Poundcake, you can easily substitute regular lemons in place of Meyer lemons.
I lightly adapted this recipe for Meyer Lemon Pound Cake from The Hungry Housewife, and the Meyer lemons are compliments of Carole. Thanks, Carole!!
*Please note that the exact measurements along with a new "shop the recipe" feature from Instacart is available in the printable recipe card.
How this recipe came to be
My sister-in-law Carole (you may remember her from my Apple Dutch Baby Pancake post) and her husband Mike came into town last weekend for a short visit.
Being the sweetheart that she is, Carole brought me four Meyer lemons from her backyard tree (she actually referred to it as more of a bush) located in Alameda, California.
Since I'd never tried Meyer lemons before, I was super excited when she handed me the bag with four beautifully shaped little yellow fruit inside.
Naturally, the first thing I did was stick my nose into the bag and gave them a big sniff to see how pungent they were. To my surprise, unlike regular lemons, Meyer lemons don't have a very strong scent (unless their rind is cut).
And, in addition, I learned that they're considerably sweeter than the lemons I'm used to purchasing in my local market.
What is the flavor of a Meyer lemon?
Some say a Meyer lemon's flavor is a cross between a mandarin orange and a lemon, but my opinion is that a Meyer lemon's flavor is unique to itself.
I guess that when people compare them to oranges it's because they're not as sour and tart as the lemons commonly purchased that are loaded with pucker-power.
Don't get me wrong, Meyer lemons still have a strong lemon flavor (lemon lovers, rejoice) making them the perfect ingredient to use for cooking and baking.
And if all this isn't enough, did you know that the rind of a Meyer lemon is thin and less bitter making the entire fruit totally edible with no waste whatsoever? Yup. True story!
What months are Meyer lemons in season?
Meyer lemon season runs November through March so I urge you to snap them up when you find them in your market and make this recipe.
I made this cake for Mike and Carole when they came to our home for dinner one night while they were in town, and it was a huge hit!
Does this recipe work with regular lemons?
This recipe will also work well with lemons other than Meyer lemons, so if you don't have Meyer lemons don't let that stop you from making this recipe.
Either way, it's going to be delicious, and you're going to love this dense, moist cake! I promise!
How to make lemon sugar:
Combine the lemon zest and sugar. Rub the zest through the sugar with your finger tips to highly flavor the sugar.
How to make lemon poundcake:
- Beat the softened butter into the sugar.
- Add the eggs, half and half, Greek yogurt, and extracts blending until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour and salt into the batter in thirds until combined.
- Spoon the batter evenly into a prepared Bundt pan and bake in a preheated oven.
- Turn the cake out on a wire rack and cool completely.
- Whisk the glaze ingredients together and drizzle the glaze over the cake when the cake is completely cooled.
- Garnish with lemon slices.
Additional Bundt cake recipes:
Delight your family and friends with this Old-Fashioned Strawberry Rhubarb Bundt Cake. It's so flavorful and tender that you'll wish rhubarb was in season all year long!
This Chocolate Cherry Bundt Cake is a chocolate and cherry lovers dream come true! It's a rich, dense cake with a brownie-like consistency, and you have my promise that the chocolate and cherry taste will make you swoon with delight!
Orange Bundt Cake with Banana and Poppy Seeds is a super moist and flavorful citrus cake that is perfect for any and all occasions.
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
MEYER LEMON POUNDCAKE
For the cake:
- 2 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon zest from 2 Meyer lemons approximately
- 3 sticks butter softened
- 3 cups all-flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cups half and half
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- lemon slices for garnish optional
For the glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- -Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- -Prepare a Bundt pan by liberally spraying it with baking spray. Set aside.
- -In a large bowl, rub the lemon zest and sugar between your fingertips to release the lemon oil from the rind and to optimally flavor the sugar.
- -Add the softened butter to the sugar and, using a hand mixer (or stand mixer), blend until light and creamy.
- -Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- -Mix in the vanilla extract, almond extract, half and half, and Greek yogurt.
- -In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and salt together.
- -Add the flour to the egg/lemon mixture in thirds, blending well after each addition.
- -Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared Bundt pan.
- -Bake in an oven for 60 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
- -Cool for 10 minutes, then turn the cake onto a serving plate.
- -Cool completely before glazing.
- -In a medium bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the glaze until thick yet slightly runny.
- -Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake and garnish with lemon slices (if desired) before serving.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!