The unexpected flavors of bacon and root beer pair deliciously well in this surprising Bacon Root Beer Bundt Cake. It's the perfect cake for any Autumn celebration.
I can hardly believe that this is the last post for #BaconMonth 2017. I've had a ton of fun participating with this group of 9 food bloggers as we've all come up with our own unique recipes that feature bacon as the star ingredient.Jump to Recipe
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Bacon Root Beer Bundt Cake is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the "jump to recipe" button above to be taken directly to the recipe.
I decided to save this recipe for Bacon Root Beer Bundt Cake for the last post for #BaconMonth because it's always best to end on a sweet note.
As I've heard it said, "They may forget what you make for dinner, but dessert will stick in their minds forever!"
I'm not sure how true that saying is, but with this bacon root beer bundt cake you'll definitely leave them surprised, and then ultimately delighted!
When I say that this bacon root beer cake has an unexpectedly delicious flavor, it's not that I threw caution to the wind and added ingredients just for the sake of adding ingredients (although that's just what I did). LOL.
Since I knew I was going to use a prepared spice cake mix, I also knew that the flavor of the root beer would pair nicely with the spicy notes of the cake.
Add to that the light smoky touch of bacon and what you have is a cake that is super moist, flavorful, and unexpectedly delicious, in an expected kind of way!
The ingredient list:
- spice cake mix
- root beer
- root beer extract (vanilla will also work)
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- canola oil
- confectioner's sugar
- baking spray
The easy instructions:
- In a large bowl blend together the cake mix, eggs, canola oil, bacon grease, root beer, and root beer (or vanilla) extract.
- Stir in the cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Pour the batter evenly into a prepared bundt pan that has been sprayed liberally with baking spray.
- Bake the cake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 10 minutes and then invert it onto a serving plate to cool completely.
- Once the cake is completely cooked, whisk together the confectioner's sugar and 2-3 tablespoons root beer.
- Whisk until your desired consistency.
- Spoon the root beer glaze over the completely cooled bacon root beer bundt cake and garnish with the remaining cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today's easy cake mix bundt cake recipe featuring bacon and root beer.
Unexpectedly Delicious Bacon Root Beer Bundt Cake
- For the cake:
- 1 pound bacon cooked, drained (reserve 3 tablespoons bacon grease), and crumbled.
- Reserve ½ cup of the bacon crumbles and set aside.
- 1 box spice cake mix
- ½ cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup root beer
- 1 teaspoon root beer extract may substitute vanilla extract
- For the icing:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons root beer more if needed
- reserved ½ cup bacon crumbles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a bundt pan liberally with baking spray. Set aside.
- To make the cake:
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to blend together the cake mix, eggs, oil, bacon grease, root beer and root beer extract on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Fold all but the ½ cup reserved crumbled bacon into the cake mix until well combined.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 50 minutes (or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean).
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then carefully invert the cake pan on to a serving platter. Remove pan and allow the cake to cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and root beer until thick and creamy. *Note - to thin the icing, use additional root beer (1 teaspoon at a time) until your desired consistency.
- Spoon the icing liberally over the cooled cake and top with the reserved ½ cup of cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Slice and serve at room temperature.
wooden skewer or long toothpick
wooden spoon or spatula
hand mixer or stand mixer
I've had a complete blast participating in bacon month this year, and if I'm going to be completely honest my husband has loved it even more than I have. LOL
Please click on the following recipe titles to view the three other bacon recipes I've submitted for this year's bacon month celebration. From a delicious and cheesy bacon appetizer, two bacon main courses, and today's bacon dessert, here's hoping I've helped to satisfy your bacon craving.
Bacon Month is hosted and coordinated by Julie of Bread Booze Bacon!! Julie has gotten together some pretty awesome bloggers together to tickle your bacon fancy all through August!
Please take a moment to meet the nine food bloggers that have joined together to make these years #BaconMonth such a delicious success.
Below are the recipe photos and titles we’ve created for the fourth week of August 2017 in celebration of all things bacon! #BaconMonth rules!! By clicking on the titles of the recipes you'll be taken directly to that food blogger's site to learn more about that particular recipe, and for the complete instructions.
Be still my bacon-loving heart! I hope you've enjoyed all these bacon-tastic recipes as much as we've enjoyed bringing them to you.
Please come back and visit me again in my Kudos Kitchen, won't you? I'm continually adding new and creative recipes because I adore feeding you, my friends!
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!