The unexpected flavors of bacon and root beer pair deliciously well in this surprising Bacon Root Beer Bundt Cake. It's the perfect cake for any celebration or occasion.
Calling all root beer fans... This Bundt cake recipe has your name written all over it, and so does my recipe for Root Beer Ice Cream. Why not pair the two and make a dessert combo that no one will ever forget?!!
The ingredient list:
- spice cake mix
- root beer
- root beer extract (vanilla will also work)
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- canola oil
- confectioner's sugar
- baking spray
How this recipe came to be
Many years ago, I used to participate with a group of other food bloggers where we would come up with recipes featuring bacon as I primary ingredient. This recipe was developed for that reason...and because who doesn't love bacon in their Bundt cakes? lol
What I wrote about this recipe in 2017
I can hardly believe that this is the last post for #BaconMonth 2017. I've had a ton of fun participating with this group of 9 food bloggers as we've all come up with our own unique recipes that feature bacon as the star ingredient.
I decided to save this recipe for Bacon Root Beer Bundt Cake for the last post for #BaconMonth because it's always best to end on a sweet note.
As I've heard it said, "They may forget what you make for dinner, but dessert will stick in their minds forever!"
I'm not sure how true that saying is, but with this bacon root beer bundt cake you'll definitely leave them surprised, and then ultimately delighted!
Why this recipe works
When I say that this bacon root beer cake has an unexpectedly delicious flavor, it's not that I threw caution to the wind and added ingredients just for the sake of adding ingredients (although that's just what I did). LOL.
Since I knew I was going to use a prepared spice cake mix, I also knew that the flavor of the root beer would pair nicely with the spicy notes of the cake.
Add to that the light smoky touch of bacon and what you have is a cake that is super moist, flavorful, and unexpectedly delicious, in an expected kind of way!
The easy instructions:
- In a large bowl blend together the cake mix, eggs, canola oil, bacon grease, root beer, and root beer (or vanilla) extract.
- Stir in the cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Pour the batter evenly into a prepared bundt pan that has been sprayed liberally with baking spray.
- Bake the cake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 10 minutes and then invert it onto a serving plate to cool completely.
- Once the cake is completely cooked, whisk together the confectioner's sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of root beer.
- Whisk until your desired consistency.
- Spoon the root beer glaze over the completely cooled bacon root beer bundt cake and garnish with the remaining cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Additional Bundt cake recipes:
Delight your family and friends with this Old-Fashioned Strawberry Rhubarb Bundt Cake. It's so flavorful and tender that you'll wish rhubarb was in season all year long!
This Chocolate Cherry Bundt Cake is a chocolate and cherry lovers dream come true! It's a rich, dense cake with a brownie-like consistency, and you have my promise that the chocolate and cherry taste will make you swoon with delight!
Orange Bundt Cake with Banana and Poppy Seeds is a super moist and flavorful citrus cake that is perfect for any and all occasions.
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Bacon Root Beer Bundt Cake
For the cake:
- 1 pound bacon cooked, drained (reserve 3 tablespoons bacon grease), and crumbled. Reserve ½ cup of the bacon crumbles and set aside.
- 1 box spice cake mix
- ½ cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup root beer
- 1 teaspoon root beer extract may substitute vanilla extract
For the icing:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons root beer more if needed
- reserved ½ cup bacon crumbles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 Celsius).
- Spray a bundt pan liberally with baking spray. Set aside.
To make the cake:
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer (or stand mixer) to blend together the cake mix, eggs, oil, bacon grease, root beer and root beer extract on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Fold all but the ½ cup reserved crumbled bacon into the batter and mix until well combined.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 50 minutes (or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean).
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then carefully invert the cake pan onto a serving platter. Remove pan and allow the cake to cool completely before icing.
To make the icing:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and root beer until thick and creamy. *Note - If desired, to thin the icing, use additional root beer (1 teaspoon at a time) until your desired consistency.
- Spoon the icing liberally over the cooled cake and top with the reserved ½ cup of cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Slice and serve at room temperature.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's Bundt cake recipe using root beer and bacon as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!