Sweet, creamy, and oh so chocolaty. Mexican chocolate truffles are as delicious as they are nutritious.
Plus they pack a little kick of spice, thanks to a small addition of cayenne pepper.
Show your loved one just home much you care by making them this easy homemade valentine’s candy recipe.
This gift from the heart is also heart-healthy and super creamy thanks to the unexpected addition of mashed avocado.
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Mexican Chocolate Truffles is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the “jump to recipe” button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
The easy ingredient list:
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ripe avocados
- pure vanilla extract
- expresso powder
- cayenne red pepper
- crushed toasted almonds
- cocoa powder
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- large bowl
- hand mixer or stand mixer
- paring knife
- medium bowls
- small melon scoop
- baking sheets
- parchment paper
- small paper candy cups
- valentine heart box (optional)
- Flat storage container with lid
Why this easy truffle recipe works?
Surprise your Valentine this year by giving them candy you’ve made yourself.
These deliciously creamy chocolate truffles are super easy to make and require no cooking whatsoever!
You’ll be in and out in the kitchen in a flash and then the refrigerator does all the work.
Plus, your sweetie will never even know these delicious candies are good for them (because they’re made with heart-healthy avocados). So mum’s the word!
How long does this chocolate truffle recipe take to make?
Preparing the avocado and chocolate truffle mixture will take approximately 10 minutes.
Once the truffle mixture is assembled, it needs to be refrigerated at least 60 minutes (but longer is better) so the truffles will be easier to roll.
Additional ingredient options for coating homemade truffles:
- sanding sugar
- chopped pecans
- chopped hazelnuts
- chopped pistachios
- crushed peppermint candy
- crushed red hot candy
- confectioners sugar
- toasted crushed almonds
- cocoa powder
How to make Mexican Avocado Truffles:
- Add the pitted, ripe avocados to a large bowl along with the vanilla, cayenne pepper, salt, espresso powder.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Melt semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwave on medium-low power (stirring occasionally) until smooth and creamy.
- Add the melted chocolate to the avocado mixture and blend until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the chocolate and avocado mixture into a covered dish and refrigerate at least 60 minutes, but 4-6 hours is even better.
- Add the almonds to a zip-top bag and crush with a rolling pin to form crumbs.
- Add the crushed almonds to a dry skillet and toast the nuts over medium heat, stirring continually, for 2-3 minutes. Watch them carefully as they will burn quickly. Once you can smell the almonds, they’re toasted and ready.
- Allow the almonds to cool.
- After the chocolate avocado mixture is completely chilled, use a small melon baller to scoop and roll walnut size truffles and roll them into the toasted almonds and/or cocoa powder.
- Add the truffles to paper cup liners and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Can these Mexican chocolate truffles be made ahead of time and frozen?
For freezing the truffles individually, once rolled in coating of your choice, place the finished truffles on a baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour.
Add the pre-frozen truffles to an air-tight freezer container and freeze for up to 2 months.
Thaw for 30 minutes before serving.
How long will these truffles remain fresh?
Keep the truffles in an air-tight container in the refrigerator and they’ll keep for up to 5 days.
Can the cayenne pepper be omitted from this recipe?
Yes, and no.
While you can omit the red pepper from this recipe, I implore you not to.
After all, it’s the addition of the cayenne that takes a plain chocolate truffle candy and turns in into a fabulously Mexican chocolate candy treat.
Trust me when I say that the amount of cayenne in this recipe is not enough to make the truffles spicy. But it is enough to make the flavor of these delicious chocolate candies linger longer on your tongue in a very enjoyable and unexpected way.
Additional homemade candy recipes:
- Homemade Candy Recipe Roundup (pictured below) from all your favorite food bloggers!
“Homemade Candy Recipe Roundup is for those of us who enjoy giving, making, and eating delicious homemade gifts of love all throughout the year. Sweet!“
- Homemade Almond Joy Candy Bars (pictured below)
Want to learn how to make your own, better than the original, homemade almond joy candy bars? Stick close, this recipe will become one of your favorites!
- Copycat Payday Candy Bars (pictured below)
“If you’re a fan of Payday candy bars then you’ll go NUTS for this Fast & Easy Copycat Payday Candy Bars recipe. After all, who doesn’t love payday?!!”
- Mexican Chocolate Truffles (pictured below) This is the place!!
Whether you’re working all day on a blue screen device, or in the kitchen, the following affiliate products are ones I can highly recommend to save your eyesight and your sanity.
Below is a photo of my blue blocker computer glasses in action! I swear by them! I work at the computer for what feels like all-day, every-day, and these glasses have relieved a great deal of eye-stress and migraine problems for me.
A neurologist was the one who recommended I get myself some, and it was the best thing he could have told me to do, so now I pass that information on to you!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today’s easy homemade candy recipe.
- 2 ripe avocados, pits removed, skinned, and diced
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup toasted, slivered almonds, crushed to form crumbs
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- mini paper candy cups, optional
- Remove the flesh from the avocados and place in a large bowl.
- Add the vanilla, salt, espresso powder and cayenne to the avocados.
- Mix thoroughly with a hand mixer until blended (scraping down the sides as needed).
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips on medium-low power, stirring occasionally. IMPORTANT - Do not melt quickly or on high heat!
- Add the melted chocolate to the avocado mixture and blend with the hand mixer (scraping down the sides as needed).
- Spoon the mixture into a container and refrigerate at least 60 minutes.
- Using a spoon or melon baller scoop approximately ½ tablespoon of chocolate out and roll into 1" balls.
- Roll each truffle into your choice of toasted almonds crumbs or cocoa powder.
- Place in mini paper candy cups if desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Chilling the finished truffle mixture is key.
Chill for a minimum of 60 minutes, but longer is even better.
From time to time you'll need to rinse your hands with water when forming the balls. This will make the rolling process a little easier, and neater.
After rolling, refrigerate the truffles until ready to serve.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 94Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 3gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 1mgSodium 44mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 1g
Thank you so much for visiting me here today in my Kudos Kitchen!
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s easy homemade candy for Mexican chocolate truffles as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more Kudos Kitchen recipe information, please follow me on my social medial channels (listed below), and don’t forget to TAG me @kudoskitchen with photos so I can view all your delicious recipe creations! It’s exciting for me when you share them, so don’t be shy!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – BRINGING YOU EASY, ECONOMICAL, AND DELICIOUS DISHES TO FEED YOUR LOVED ONES!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!