These soft and chewy gluten-free breakfast cookies with orange and cranberry are perfect for when you want something sweet, but also something healthy that won't spike your blood sugar and will satisfy your craving.
I don't post many gluten-free recipes here on my blog. Since I'm fortunate that I (or anyone else in my family) doesn't have a gluten intolerance, gluten-free baking is not something I spend a lot of time on.
However, I do know that bringing gluten-free options is important, so I hope you'll enjoy this gluten-free breakfast cookie recipe.
Even if you're not gluten intolerant, I know you'll still appreciate these breakfast cookies for their undeniable orange and cranberry flavor and chewy texture.
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making gluten-free breakfast cookies with orange and cranberry is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the "jump to recipe" button above to be taken directly to the recipe.
About this recipe:
I found (and adapted) this recipe from a cookbook I was fortunate enough to receive called "Lose Weight By Eating - 130 Amazing Clean-Eating Recipe Makeovers For Guilt-Free Comfort Food by Audrey Johns.
Audrey's recipe can be found on page 32 of her cookbook, and is named "Giant Breakfast Cookies."
I stuck to Audrey's original recipe pretty closely except that I substituted a gluten-free flour for the all-purpose flour she called for, and added some almond flour.
I also substituted coconut palm sugar for the called for packed brown sugar.
The only other thing I changed, was where her recipe called for ⅓ cup water, I substituted fresh squeezed orange juice; because if you're going to go to the effort of using the zest of a fresh orange, why not utilize the juice as well?
The ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- gluten-free flour
- almond flour
- baking soda
- orange zest and juice
- butter (I use salted)
- coconut sugar
- pure vanilla extract
- dried cranberries
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- stand mixer or hand mixer
- large mixing bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- cookie scoop
- baking sheets
- cooling racks
- parchment paper
- baking spray
How to make gluten-free breakfast cookies with cranberry and orange:
- In a large bowl, stir together the gluten-free flour, almond flour. baking soda, orange zest, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or another large bowl with a hand mixer, add softened butter, coconut sugar, egg, and vanilla.
- Blend until combined and then blend in the applesauce and fresh orange juice.
- Once incorporated, slowly blend in the flour mixture and oatmeal.
- Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir in dried cranberries and chopped raw almonds.
- Use a large ice cream scoop to scoop the cookie dough out onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Flatten the cookies to approximately ½" with the back of a spatula that has been sprayed with baking spray.
- Bake in a 350-degree preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool and enjoy!
Can these cookies be frozen?
Store them in an air-tight freezer container for up to 3 months.
Can I leave the nuts out of this recipe?
You sure can!
Can the cranberries be substituted or left out of this recipe?
Feel free to leave them out entirely if you're not a fan, or substitute them with raisins, dried blueberries, dried cherries, or any other of your favorite dried fruits.
Want more gluten-free cookie recipes?
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies - Minimalist Baker
The Best Chewy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies - My Gluten-Free Kitchen
Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies - Eat Good 4 Life
Canadian Honey Drop Gluten-Free Cookies - Baking and Boys
Maple Glazed Chai Spice Shortbread Cookies - In Johnna's Kitchen
Gluten-Free Chocolate Brownie Cookies - Bakerita
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cookies - Amy in the Kitchen
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today's gluten-free breakfast cookies.
Gluten-Free Breakfast Cookies
- ½ cup gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons salted butter softened
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup raw almonds chopped
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour, almond flour, baking soda, orange zest, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer, or using a stand mixer, whip the butter and coconut sugar for 2 minutes on high speed.
- Add the egg, vanilla, orange juice, and applesauce to the butter and sugar mixture and blend to combine.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Add the oatmeal, cranberries, and almonds to the batter and stir well.
- Use a large cookie scoop to drop rounded scoops of batter onto parchment-lined baking sheets, and flatten the cookies with the back of a spatula.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes until golden in color around the edges.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed this sweet gluten-free breakfast recipe as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you.
**Note - The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!