Satisfy your chocolate sweet tooth with this extra creamy and delicious Double Chocolate Cheesecake with Espresso Chocolate Crust. If you're a chocolate lover, you need this in your life, and I'll show you how to make it!
If you're apprehensive or intimidated at the thought of making a delicious, restaurant-quality, chocolate cheesecake I hope you'll stick with me and let me show you just how easy it is to make this Double Chocolate Cheesecake with Espresso Chocolate Crust. I promise this is completely painless, and anyone can do it!
To be successful at making a traditional New York-style cheesecake, it's imperative that you use a springform pan. What's that you ask? Well, it's a pan that has sides you can remove after the cheesecake is fully baked, and set. The pan side has a clip that works with a spring (hence the name) making it easily removable. The base of the pan, however, stays with the cake during serving. *NOTE - Watch for my special tip and trick (shown below in the photo tutorial) to keep your cheesecake from sliding around on your serving plate, due to the base of the pan being part of the equation.
The step-by-step photo instructions:
- Place 1½ sleeves of chocolate graham crackers in a food processor along with espresso powder and sugar.
- Pulse to form crumbs.
- Add melted butter to the processor and pulse to form a "wet sand" consistency.
- Add the crumbs to a springform pan (that has been prepared with baking spray), and firmly press the crumbs to form an even layer. *Note - A flat-bottom measuring cup works well for this.
- Place the springform pan on a baking sheet and bake the crust in a preheated 350-degree Fahrenheit oven for 7-10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, cut or break 4 ounces of high-quality bittersweet chocolate into small pieces.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on low power (stirring often), until melted.
- Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl with a hand mixer), add 4 bricks (8 ounces, each) of room temperature softened cream cheese and sugar.
- Add cocoa powder to the bowl and blend until creamy.
- Add four eggs, one at a time, blending after each addition.
- Add the melted chocolate to the cream cheese mixture and stir well to combine.
- When the cream cheese mixture is thoroughly stirred, pour the cheesecake mixture into the prepared springform pan with the pre-baked crust.
- Smooth the cheesecake mixture evenly and bake the cheesecake (on the baking sheet) in a preheated oven for 60-70 minutes, or until the center of the cheesecake is set and no longer looks wet.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Once cooled, remove the sides of the springform pan by unlatching the buckle and gently remove the collar of the springform pan.
- The cheesecake is now ready to be transferred to the serving plate.
- *Note - To keep the cheesecake from sliding around on the serving platter, wet a paper towel, squeeze out the excess water, and fold the towel a few times so the paper towel won't be seen once the cheesecake is set on the plate.
- Once the cheesecake is completely cool, make the white chocolate ganache by placing room temperature white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave the white chocolate chips on low power (stirring frequently) until melted. This will only take seconds so don't walk away.
- Gently warm a little heavy cream in the microwave for a few seconds to take the chill off and then whisk the heavy cream into the melted white chocolate until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the white chocolate ganache over the top of the chocolate cheesecake and allow the white chocolate to drizzle over the sides.
- Top the cheesecake with colored sprinkles, or dark chocolate shavings (not pictured), if desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*Note - Cheesecake is best served at room temperature. Remove it from the refrigerator at least one hour before serving.
Printable Recipe Card
Double Chocolate Cheesecake with Espresso Chocolate Crust
For the crust:
- 1½ sleeves of chocolate graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder optional, but recommended
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
For the filling:
- 1 bar (4 ounces) bittersweet chocolate cut into small pieces
- 4 packages (8 ounces each package) cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
For the white chocolate ganache:
- 1¼ cups white chocolate chips at room temperature
- 1½ tablespoons heavy cream warmed slightly
- sprinkles or chocolate shavings for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prepare a springform pan by spraying with baking spray.
To make the crust:
- Pulse the graham crackers, sugar and espresso powder in a food processor to form fine crumbs.
- Add the melted butter and pulse again to form the consistence of "wet sand"
- Add the crumbs to the springform pan and flatten the crumbs into an even layer on the bottom of the pan. Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake the crust in a preheated oven for 7-10 minutes. Prepare the filling while the crust bakes.
To make the filling:
- Place the bittersweet chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on low power (stirring frequently) until melted and smooth. Set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large bowl with a hand mixer, blend the softened cream cheese, sugar, cocoa powder and salt until creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, blending after each addition.
- Add the melted chocolate and stir until well combined.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into the springform pan (with baked crust, and on baking sheet), and smooth the cream cheese mixture evenly.
- Bake the cheesecake in the preheated oven for 60-70 minutes, or until the middle of the cheese cake is set and no longer looks wet.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes.
- Undo the buckle on the springform pan and carefully remove the sides of the pan from the cake. Cool the cake completely before plating, and adding the white chocolate ganache.
To make the white chocolate ganache:
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the white chocolate chips on low power, stirring frequently.
- Add the warmed heavy cream to the melted white chocolate and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the white chocolate ganache evenly over top of the cooled cheesecake and allow some to drizzle over the sides, if desired.
- Garnish the top of the cheesecake with sprinkles of your choice, or chocolate shavings (if desired)
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!