Serve this Bacon Caramelized Onion Cheese Dip at your next party or tailgating event, and I guarantee it will be the first to go!
The grocery list for making this Bacon Caramelized Onion Cheese Dip is relatively short. Bacon, sweet onions, maple syrup, flour, Gruyere and Gouda cheese, salt, pepper, garlic, and fresh thyme leaves to finish.
Hold onto your bacon loving hats! This Bacon Caramelized Onion Cheese Dip is one recipe you’ll be making time and again all through “FOODball” season (see what I did there?), and beyond!
While this bacon, onion and cheese dip is fantastic for serving with crackers, chips, and vegetables, it would also be delicious slathered on some toasted French bread and then broiled in the oven until brown and bubbly! *Note to self* 😉
The only kitchen tools and equipment pieces you’ll need to make this Bacon Caramelized Onion Cheese Dip are a large skillet, wooden spoon or spatula, box grater, cutting board, chef’s knife, slotted spoon, and a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
As always, here are some step-by-step photos (along with instruction) I took during of the making of this Bacon Caramelized Onion Cheese Dip:
In a large skillet, cook the cut bacon until semi-crisp. Remove three or four tablespoons of the partially cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Set the reserved bacon aside.
Add two large sweet onions (that have been thinly sliced) into the skillet with the partially cooked bacon. Add salt, pepper, and minced garlic to the skillet. Stir well and continue cooking (stirring occasionally) while the onions turn golden brown in color.
Stir the maple syrup into the cooked onions. Add in the all-purpose flour and stir well to combine. Reduce the heat to low.
Add shredded Gruyere cheese and shredded Gouda cheese to the caramelized onion and bacon mixture. Turn off heat, and stir until the cheese is melted.
Spoon the cheesy bacon dip into a prepared baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Top the dip with the reserved bacon and some fresh thyme leaves. Bake the dip for 20 minutes in a preheated 325 degree oven. Remove and serve hot with fresh veggies, crackers, or chips.
This can become your signature dip. Watch and learn:
- ¾ pound bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 large, sweet onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded (may use smoked Gouda)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- corn chips, fresh vegetables, bread cubes and crackers for dipping
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray a 1 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium/high heat, cook the cut bacon until almost crisp.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove 3 tablespoons of the bacon to a plated lined with a paper towel. Set aside.
- Remove all but 3 tablespoons of the bacon grease from the skillet.
- Add the sliced onions, salt, pepper and garlic to the skillet with the remaining bacon, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions start to turn golden brown (approximately 10-15 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the maple syrup and the all purpose flour.
- Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the shredded cheeses. Stir well to combine.
- Spoon the dip into the prepared baking dish and top with the reserved partially cooked bacon and the fresh thyme leaves.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with crackers, veggies, bread, or chips.
wooden spoon or spatula
chef's knife and cutting board (for slicing the onions and bacon)
1 quart baking dish
measuring cups and spoons
And now be ready to receive tons of compliments because this Bacon Caramelized Onion Cheese Dip will soon become everyone’s favorite cheesy appetizer that you’ll find yourself making for family and friends time and again. You have my word on it!
Are you ready for more incredible bacon recipes?! It’s time for the 5th annual Bacon Month (#BaconMonth) celebration hosted and coordinated by Julie of Bread Booze Bacon!! Julie has gotten together some pretty awesome bloggers together to tickle your bacon fancy all through August!
Say hi to…
Every Wednesday this month, we’ll be sharing bacon-centric recipes to make you drool. And if that’s not enough to make your tummy grumble, you can grab bacon recipes from the previous bacon months too!
Ready to see what deliciousness is waiting for you today? Great! But first let me whet your appetite by sharing the photo collage of all the recipes you’ll be receiving for this the very first week of #BaconMonth.
Get a load of these…
By clicking on the recipe titles below you’ll be taken directly to the individual recipe post from that corresponding food blogger. While you’re there you’ll learn more about that particular recipe along with the list of ingredients (bacon being first and foremost on each list), and the instructions you’ll need to make each of these bacony delicious dishes at home. What could be better than that?!!
I hope you’ve enjoyed all these wonderful bacon recipes for #BaconMonth and will continue to visit me throughout the month of August (and, of course, beyond) for additional family friendly recipes that are sure to tempt your taste buds.
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!