Crispy and chewy. These Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons are a cross between a piece of Almond Joy candy and a cookie. What's not to love?
I originally shared this recipe in 2016. I've recently updated this post with additional information, including a recipe card complete with nutritional information, but the recipe itself has remained unchanged.
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the "jump to recipe" button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
- The ingredient list:
- Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- Why this recipe works:
- Can these cookies be frozen after baking?
- How to separate eggs:
- How to beat egg white to stiff peaks?
- How to melt chocolate using a double-boiler:
- What does the expresso powder do in this recipe?
- How to store coconut macaroons:
- How many cookies does this recipe make?
- Can the chocolate and/or almonds be omitted from this recipe?
- The step-by-step instructions:
- Additional coconut recipes you'll also enjoy:
- Printable Recipe Card
The ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- sweetened shredded coconut
- sweetened condensed milk
- almond extract
- egg whites
- kosher salt
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- espresso powder (optional, but recommended)
- slivered almonds
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- mixing bowls
- hand mixer
- medium-size microwave-safe bowl
- nut chopper
- small cookie scoop
- baking sheets
- parchment paper
- wooden spoons
- measuring cups and spoons
- cooling rack
- kitchen timer
Why this recipe works:
Do you have a favorite candy?
Me, I'm not normally a candy eater, but when faced with an Almond Joy candy bar, I'm hard pressed to resist.
These chocolaty coconut macaroon cookies remind me so much of the iconic candy bar, only better.
After all, look at all that toasted coconut!!
Can these cookies be frozen after baking?
If you're like me, you're afraid to have cookies in the kitchen calling your name for too very long.
Thankfully, these delicious coconut cookies freeze very well in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Also, they also make a wonderfully thoughtful gift when boxed with a parchment paper liner, some colorful tissue paper for pizzazz, and some colored ribbon with curls and bows.
But don't forget to sneak at least one (or maybe even two) before you wrap them up! LOL
How to separate eggs:
How to beat egg white to stiff peaks?
- Separate room temperature eggs and place the whites in an impeccably-clean medium-size, bowl.
- Reserve the yolks for another use.
- Beat the egg whites on high speed using a hand mixer until stiff peaks that don't bend over form.
How to melt chocolate using a double-boiler:
What does the expresso powder do in this recipe?
It enhances the flavor of the chocolate.
It's not a mandatory ingredient for making these macaroons, but it gives a nice boost of flavor to the semi-sweet chocolate so I recommend using it if you are able.
How to store coconut macaroons:
Store them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, but there is no way they're going to be around for that long.
How many cookies does this recipe make?
As written this recipe makes 24 cookies.
However, it's easy to increase the yield if needed. See the recipe card for ingredient measurements when doubling (and even tripling) this recipe.
Can the chocolate and/or almonds be omitted from this recipe?
Feel free to tailor these cookies to your tastes and preferences.
Not a fan of almonds? What about using chopped pecans or macadamia nuts instead?
Rather use a dollop of caramel instead of the chocolate? Oooh. That DOES sound good. Go for it!
Slowly melt some store-bought caramels in the microwave over medium-low heat, and you're good to go.
Or, maybe you'd like to make your own homemade caramel? See below:
The step-by-step instructions:
- In a large bowl mix together sweetened flaked coconut, a can of sweetened condensed milk, and almond extract.
- Separate two eggs and place the egg whites in a medium-sized bowl. Blend the egg white with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the coconut mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Drop the coconut macaroon cookie dough by rounded tablespoons onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the macaroons in a preheated oven until browned.
- Meanwhile, melt semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave, and stir in espresso powder.
- When the macaroons are cooled, dollop approximately 1 teaspoon of melted chocolate on top of each cookie and sprinkle with chopped almond slices.
Additional coconut recipes you'll also enjoy:
*Slow Cooker Banana Coconut Pudding (shown below and in the featured video)
Comforting and extra delicious! This super easy and creamy Banana Coconut Pudding for the slow cooker will be your new favorite dessert!
*Coconut Pecan Praline Candy (not shown)
You can either thank me for this recipe of coconut pecan praline candy or curse me out! They’re so good and so addicting you may eat them all by yourself! Sorry. Not sorry!
*Toasted Coconut Shortbread (shown below)
These Toasted Coconut Shortbread Cookies are rich and buttery with a crunch and lightness that will keep you coming back for more.
*Pan-Seared Coconut Crusted Tuna Steak (not shown)
This recipe for Pan-Seared Seared Coconut Crusted Tuna Steaks was inspired by coconut shrimp dish I’d had recently while out to dinner and the results are out of this world!!
*Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons (shown below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today's coconut cookies topped with chocolate and almonds.
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Almond Joy Coconut Macaroons
- 1 bag (14 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 can (7 ounces) sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1½ teaspoons espresso powder
- ½ cup finely chopped slivered almonds
Tools and equipment
- 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- 2 tablespoons or a tablespoon small melon scoop
- 2 large bowls
- wooden spoon
- rubber spatula
- electric hand mixer
- cooling rack
- medium size microwave-safe bowl for melting chocolate
- nut chopper (optional)
- kitchen timer
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and almond extract in a large bowl until combined. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, use the hand mixer to whip the egg whites on high until stiff peaks form.
- Add the whipped egg whites into the coconut mixture and use a rubber spatula to gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Use two tablespoons or a small melon scoop to drop the macaroon dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 1" apart.
- Bake the macaroons in a preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden brown.
- Remove the baking sheets to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips on medium-low power in a microwave until melted. *NOTE - it is best to do this in 30 seconds intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chocolate is creamy. Trying to heat the chocolate too fast will harden the chocolate instead of turning it into a creamy consistency.
- Stir in the espresso powder to the melted chocolate.
- Once the cookies are cooled, dollop 1 teaspoon of melted chocolate on top of each cookie and sprinkle liberally with the chopped almonds.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!