The Ultimate Soft and Chewy Gluten Free Orange Cranberry Cookies are the perfect cookie for when you want something sweet, but also something healthy that won’t spike your blood sugar and will satisfy your craving.
I don’t post many gluten free recipes here on my blog. Since I’m fortunate that I (or anyone else in my family) doesn’t have a gluten intolerance, gluten free baking is not something I spend a lot of time on. However, I do know that bringing gluten free options is important, so I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe for The Ultimate Chewy Gluten Free Orange Cranberry Cookies. Even if you’re not gluten intolerant, I know you’ll still appreciate their undeniable orange and cranberry flavor, plus their chewy texture.
I found (and adapted) this recipe from a cookbook I was fortunate enough to receive called “Lose Weight By Eating – 130 Amazing Clean-Eating Recipe Makeovers For Guilt-Free Comfort Food.” by Audrey Johns. Audrey’s recipe can be found on page 32 of her cookbook, and is named “Giant Breakfast Cookies.”
I stuck to Audrey’s original recipe pretty closely except that I substituted a gluten-free flour for the all-purpose flour she called for, and added some almond flour. I also substituted coconut palm sugar for the called for packed brown sugar. The only other thing I changed, was in place of the called for 1/3 cup water, I substituted fresh squeezed orange juice; because if you’re going to go to the effort of using the zest of a fresh orange, why not utilize the juice as well?
Audrey’s Giant Breakfast Cookie clocks in at 137 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, 2 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein, and 24 grams of carbohydrates, per cookie. I don’t know exactly how the changes I made effects these numbers, but I’m going to guess that they pretty much stayed the same.
Making your own Ultimate Chewy Gluten Free Orange Cranberry Cookies is super easy. Let me show you the process:
*Note – I’ve included links for where you can purchase the gluten free flour, almond flour, and coconut sugar on-line. However, these items are now readily available in the baking aisle in most grocery stores around the country.
In a large bowl, stir together the gluten free flour, almond flour. baking soda, orange zest and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or another large bowl with a hand mixer, add softened butter, coconut sugar, egg, and vanilla.
Blend until combined and then blend in the applesauce and fresh orange juice.
Once incorporated, slowly blend in the flour mixture and oatmeal.
Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir in dried cranberries and chopped raw almonds.
Use a large ice cream scoop to scoop the cookie dough out onto parchment lined baking sheets. Flatten the cookies to approximately ½” with the back of a spatula that has been sprayed with baking spray. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Cool and enjoy!
- ½ cup gluten free flour mix
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ - 2 tablespoons fresh orange zest (from one orange)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons room temperature butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar-free applesauce
- ⅓ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 cups quick oats
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup raw almonds, rough chopped
- 2 baking sheets and parchment paper
- large ice cream scoop
- 2 large bowls
- stand mixer or hand mixer
- wooden spoon and spatula
- baking spray
- cutting board and chefs knife (for chopping almonds)
- microplane (for zesting orange)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, almond flour, baking soda, orange zest and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large bowl with a hand mixer, blend together the softened butter, coconut sugar, egg, and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
- Add the applesauce and orange juice to the butter and sugar mixture and blend to combine.
- Slowly incorporate the flour mixture and the oats into the wet ingredients until a stiff dough forms.
- Switch to a wooden spoon and stir in the cranberries and almonds until combined.
- Use a large ice cream scoop to scoop the dough out onto two parchment lined baking sheets.
- Spray the back of a spatula with baking spray and flatten each cookie to ½" thickness.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
For other delicious gluten free cookie recipes, here are a few of my very favorites from around the web:
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies – Minimalist Baker
The Best Chewy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies – My Gluten Free Kitchen
Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies – Eat Good 4 Life
Canadian Honey Drop Gluten Free Cookies – Baking and Boys
Maple Glazed Chai Spice Shortbread Cookies – In Johnna’s Kitchen
Gluten Free Chocolate Brownie Cookies – Bakerita
Gluten Free Pumpkin Cookies – Amy in the Kitchen
Below is a Wizard of Oz inspired coffee mug that I painted because I love the movie so much, and because nothing goes better with delicious cookies than a hot cup of tea, coffee, or even a little ice cold milk. And, in the memorable words of Dorothy Gale… “If you can’t find what you’re looking for in your own backyard, maybe you never really lost it at all.” That quote doesn’t have a whole lot to do with gluten free cookies, I just like it. LOL
Each and every glassware item I ship is painted to order and unique. Every item will come in its own gift box and be dishwasher and microwave safe, as well as being non-toxic. I love special orders. If there is something specific you’d like painted, please contact me for a price quote. From glassware to fabrics (aprons and tea towels), I’d love to paint something for you! To see more of my hand painted items, please visit my shops: Etsy, Wazala, and Kudos Kitchen Paints.
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!