If you're looking to indulge in a wildly delicious stack of pancakes from time to time, do so with these Whole Wheat Banana Bourbon Pancakes with Bourbon Bacon Butter Syrup.
When it comes to breakfast foods, I normally lean toward savory dishes. Eggs, potatoes and toasted bread products are the things my dreams are made of. However, lately, I've noticed a shift in my taste buds that has me craving a touch more of the sweeter things in life, so these Whole Wheat Banana Bourbon Pancakes are right up my alley.
My newly developing sweet tooth lead me to create this recipe for Whole Wheat Banana Bourbon Pancakes with Bourbon Bacon Butter Syrup. The fact that I used whole wheat flour makes me feel better about my decision to eat a stack of 6, and then go back for more. LOL
I'm not sure what I love the most about the recipe. It's either the whole wheat banana bourbon pancakes, or the bourbon bacon butter syrup. Either way, when they're combined, I do believe they rate as some of the best pancakes I've ever eaten! And, since the flavor of the syrup is good enough to stand on its own, why not try drizzling it over baked sweet potatoes, biscuits, or even pork chops? That's what I'm looking forward to next!
How to make bourbon bacon maple syrup:
Partially cook cut-up bacon in a saucepan. Add chopped walnuts, butter, brown sugar, and pure maple syrup. Bring to a medium boil and stir occasionally until the bacon is cooked through. Remove the pan from heat, stir in the bourbon, and a pinch of salt.
To make the pancakes, mash 3 ripe pancakes in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, vinegar, melted butter, vanilla and bourbon.
Stir in the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Whisk until combined. Heat griddle and prepare pancakes as you normally do. Serve pancakes hot, and top with the syrup.
Oh boy, I just know you're going to love these.
My husband was the inspiration for the syrup portion of this recipe (he loves his bacon), and for the apron shown below. LOL. Trust me, he says this All. The. Time!
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Whole Wheat Banana Bourbon Pancakes
- nut chopper optional
For the syrup:
- ¼ pound bacon cut into pieces
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- pinch salt
For the pancakes
- 3 overripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2¼ cups milk
- 1½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
To make the syrup:
- Partially cook the bacon (stirring occasionally) in the saucepan over medium/high heat. Approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the walnuts and continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup and salt. Bring to a boil and continue cooking (stirring occasionally) until the bacon cooks through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the bourbon. Set the sauce aside and warm (if needed) when the pancakes are ready.
To make the pancakes:
- In a medium bowl stir together the milk and vinegar. Set aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl.
- Whisk in the eggs, milk mixture, butter, vanilla and bourbon.
- Add the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Heat the griddle over medium/high heat and cook the pancakes for 30-40 seconds per side.
- Serve hot, and top with the syrup.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!