Spaghetti squash is so versatile and delicious that I thought I’d take it a step or two further and use it as a “crust” for a vegetable quiche. It worked wonderfully well and is perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. See? I told you it was versatile!**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions and complete ingredient measurements for making Roasted Spaghetti Squash & Veggie Quiche is available near the end of this post.
The ingredients you’ll need to make Roasted Spaghetti Squash & Veggie Quiche;
- spaghetti squash
- Parmesan cheese
- grape tomatoes
- cheddar cheese
- fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- grated nutmeg
- garlic powder
The key to this recipe is to roast the spaghetti squash well in advance of when you’re actually ready to assemble the quiche. Once roasted, cool the squash slightly before scraping out its interior “strands”.
Season the strands and press them into the bottom, and up the sides, of a prepared pie pan before it’s baked again for a second time.
You’ll notice that after you bake the spaghetti squash “crust”, quite a bit of moisture will form on top of the squash. Since I was worried that this would prohibit the quiche from setting-up as I had hoped, I blotted the top of the “crust” with a few paper towels before I added the vegetable filling and eggs. Don’t forget this step! I do believe it’s an important one that will keep your quiche from having a soggy bottom, and as we all know, nobody likes a soggy bottom!
I urge you to plan ahead when you make this Spaghetti Squash and Veggie Quiche. Even though it’s simple to make, the roasting of the squash and the baking of the filled quiche will take approximately 2 hours from start to finish. But please don’t let that scare you away. I promise the flavor is worth every, single minute!
If you’re ready, let’s get cooking!!
- Use a sharp knife and carefully cut the squash in half lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds (I find an ice cream scoop works best) and place the squash cut side down on a prepared baking sheet.
- Roast in a 425-degree oven for 40 minutes.
- Cool and then scrape the strands of the squash and place in a large bowl.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, thyme, olive oil, nutmeg, and garlic powder into the squash. Mix well.
- Press the squash mixture evenly into the bottom of a prepared pie pan and up the sides.
- Bake the squash crust for 10-15 minutes.
- Pat with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Set aside while preparing the filling.
- Sautée the broccoli and tomatoes in the same pan that the bacon was cooked in.
- Spread the bacon, veggies, and cheese evenly into the pie pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie pan and bake for 60-65 minutes until the quiche is set in the center and is golden brown in color.
- Roasted Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi
- Fall Festival Spaghetti Squash Soup
- Spaghetti Squash Alfredo with Pancetta
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Healthier Blueberry Peach Pancakes. If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
Spaghetti Squash & Veggie Quiche is gluten-free and delicious. Roasted spaghetti squash is pressed into a pie plate then baked and filled with delicious vegetables and eggs.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese shredded or grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ pound bacon cooked and crumbled
- 10 grape tomatoes halved
- 3/4 cup fresh broccoli florets
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Place the halved and seeded squash on an aluminum lined baking sheet and insert a sharp knife into the skin on both halves. Roast in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove and cool until able to handle comfortably.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
Use a fork to scrape out the strands of the squash and place them into a large bowl. Season with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
In a large bowl, stir the Parmesan cheese, thyme, nutmeg, and garlic powder evenly into the squash.
- Spray a 9" pie pan with cooking spray and press the spaghetti squash mixture evenly in the bottom of the pie pan and up the sides.
Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove. Cool slightly and then pat gently with paper towels to absorb the moisture from the squash. Set aside while preparing the filling.
In the same skillet that you cooked the bacon, saute the broccoli and tomatoes over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper if desired.
- Add the cooked bacon, the sauteed veggies, and the shredded cheese evenly in the pie pan over the squash crust.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Pour the egg mixture into the pie pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 60-65 minutes or until the center is set and the quiche is nicely browned.
- Cool slightly and then slice into wedges to serve.
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe for Roasted Spaghetti Squash & Veggie Quiche as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
This Spaghetti Squash and Veggie Quiche will be like music to your taste buds 🙂
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!