This recipe for Skillet Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts & Bacon was inspired by chef Michael Symon from The Chew.
The day I saw him make it, I kept waiting for chef Symon to add heavy cream to his dish while he was cooking his skillet chicken thighs (I think it was for one of his Five in Five segments), but he never did.
I wanted to, so I did.
I also omitted the mustard, added shallots, and didn’t shave my Brussels sprouts. I quartered them.
My version of Chef Symon’s Skillet Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts & Bacon was delicious! While I won’t ever claim my recipe recreation would rival one of an Iron Chef, it was in fact very tasty and one I’ll be making again soon.
The ingredients for making Skillet Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts & Bacon are pretty much just as the title suggests; chicken thighs, grapeseed oil, fresh Brussels sprouts, bacon, shallots, white wine, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. I’m making a mental note to myself however that the next time I make this dish, I’m going to add a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg into the skillet along with the Brussels sprouts.
I can’t believe I didn’t add the nutmeg to my recipe, to begin with. As I write this post, I realize what a flavorful addition it would have been to this dish. I do hope you’ll add it to yours.
I’m going to write the nutmeg into the printable recipe card here today, and you can either use it or not. But I hope you’ll trust me when I say I know it will make a lovely addition to this dish because the flavor of nutmeg pairs amazingly well with dark leafy vegetables like Brussels sprouts.
Nutmeg happens to be one of my very favorite spices. I love it so much that I even named our little brown and white Boston terrier after it. Here’s a post I wrote about our dog Nutmeg a few years ago along with some photos. While I won’t go into much detail about Nutmeg’s health issues on this post (you can read more about it HERE if you’re interested), all I can say is that for now (three years later), she is still doing great and is still a very happy little girl. We are truly blessed to have her in our lives!
Now, back to the recipe…
Making Skillet Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts & Bacon takes approximately 30 minutes from start to dinner so let’s get cooking!
Season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper and then brown them in a large skillet over medium/high heat in the grapeseed oil (or other light colored oil). Once browned, remove them to a plate or rack and set aside.
Trim and quarter 1 – 1½ pounds of fresh Brussels sprouts and place them in a large bowl. Toss them with oil and salt and pepper.
Brown a half pound of bacon in the same skillet as the chicken and add the Brussels sprouts to the pan.
Add one medium sliced shallot to the skillet and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally over medium/high heat until the Brussels sprouts become slightly tender (approximately 4-5 minutes). Add the wine to the skillet.
Once the wine has been added, scrape up all the brown bits (from browning the chicken and bacon) from the bottom of the skillet and reduce the heat to low. Add the heavy cream and a pinch of nutmeg, and stir well. Add the browned chicken thighs back into the skillet. Cover the skillet and place it in a preheated 350-degree oven for approximately 15 minutes, or until the chicken’s juices run clear and are no longer pink.
Serve and enjoy!
- 6 - 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or other light colored oil
- 1½ teaspoons salt divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper divided
- 1½ pounds fresh Brussels sprouts trimmed and quartered
- ½ pound bacon cut into ¼" pieces
- 1 medium shallot diced
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg optional
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees
- Heat the oil over medium/high heat in a large skillet.
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with some of the salt and pepper and add them to the skillet to brown on each side. Remove the browned chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the bacon to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add the prepared Brussels sprouts to the bacon and continue cooking, stirring occasionally for approximately 5 minutes. Add the remaining salt and pepper to the skillet.
- Stir in the diced shallot, nutmeg, and white wine making sure to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the heavy cream.
- Nestle the chicken thighs back into the skillet, cover, and place in a preheated 350-degree oven for approximately 15 minutes, or until the chicken juices run clear.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tools and equipment:
wooden spoon or spatula
For additional chicken thigh recipes I’ve shared, or recipes which call for Brussels sprouts and/or nutmeg, please click on the following titles for;
I hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe for Skillet Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts & Bacon as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you.
Should you have any questions regarding this recipe for Skillet Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts & Bacon, or anything else you see on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly, or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!