There was a time when I used to buy my Sloppy Joe mix out of a can from the grocery store. Not that that’s a bad thing, but I’ll tell you what…once you make your own (which doesn’t take much more time than opening a can), you’ll never go back!
Homemade Sloppy Joes Over Cornbread Waffles will soon become a family favorite!
And, what better way to serve your homemade Sloppy Joe’s than over than a homemade cornbread waffle? Of course, a bun is good too…but why not give your family a little something unexpected? It’s a fun meal that is sure to please the entire family!
Thanks for the Homemade Sloppy Joes Over Cornbread Waffles, Mom!!
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions and complete ingredient measurements for making Homemade Sloppy Joes Over Cornbread Waffles is available near the end of this post.
The ingredient list for making Homemade Sloppy Joes Over Cornbread Waffles may be a tad long, but they’re probably things you already have on hand in your pantry or fridge. You’ll need;
- ground beef
- chopped celery
- chopped onion
- minced garlic
- yellow mustard
- red wine vinegar
- brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- all-purpose flour
- yellow cornmeal
- baking powder
- smoked paprika
- 1 can fire roasted green chiles
- shredded cheddar cheese
Here are a couple of recipe tips and time-saving suggestions for making Homemade Sloppy Joe’s Over Cornbread Waffles for a weeknight dinner;
- As a weeknight time saver, why not consider making the waffles on the weekend when you have more time and then freeze them to use during the week?
- To reheat, just pop them in the toaster or place them on a baking sheet which has been fitted with a rack and put them in a 325-degree oven to warm while you’re making the sloppy Joe’s. Dinner will be ready in minutes! I hope you’re hungry!! 🙂
To make this meal of Homemade Sloppy Joes Over Cornbread Waffles even more kid-friendly, (yeah, I’m helpful like that), you might want to drizzle some maple syrup and melted butter over the cornbread waffles (not mentioned in the recipe) before topping with the sloppy Joe’s, for an extra layer of flavor.
I LOVE that idea and wish I would have thought of it sooner. LOL Ah well, next time…Or at least that’s my story (book humor), and I’m sticking to it!
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Homemade Sloppy Joes Over Cornbread Waffles. If you enjoy this recipe and are anxious to give it a try, I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give this recipe some feedback by way of stars. Thank you so very much! 🙂
In the time it takes you to open a can of Sloppy Joe mix you can whip up your own homemade Joe sauce to make this kid-friendly, soon to become a favorite family dinner of Sloppy Joe's Over Cornbread Waffles.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil, grapeseed or canola
- 1 4 ounce can fire roasted chiles
- 2 pounds ground beef, 80/20 blend
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium/high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium/low and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve on a bun or over cornbread waffles (recipe follows) and top with cheddar cheese.
Preheat waffle iron while you make the batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, oil, and chiles.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until blended.
- Make waffles as usual.
The cornbread waffles can be made in advance and frozen if needed. To reheat, pop them into a toaster, or heat in a 325-degree oven on a rack to keep crunchy.
Tools and equipment;
large skillet, cutting board and chef's knife, wooden spoon, measuring cups and spoons, waffle iron, large bowl, medium bowl, cooking spray (for the waffle iron).
I hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe for Best Ever Homemade Sloppy Joes Over Cornbread Waffles as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!!
Should you have any questions regarding this recipe for Homemade Sloppy Joes Over Cornbread Waffles, or anything else you see on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly, or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!