This delicious Healthy Roasted Chickpea with Carrot Hummus is perfect for mindless munching, but with none of the guilt.
Here we are, well into January 2016, and this is the first healthy recipe I'm sharing with you. What the heck took me so long? I'm not sure actually, but better late than never. Right?
Hummus is something that I really enjoy eating, and there are plenty of good brands on the market that I love, and purchase frequently. However, making hummus at home couldn't be easier, and when doing so you can tailor it to your own tastes and dietary restrictions, as needed. Plus it's great fun!
What gives this hummus that little extra something that you don't normally get when purchasing store bought hummus is the extra depth of flavor that roasting the chickpeas and carrots provides. It's thirty minutes well spent, and one that makes all the difference.
Roasted Chickpea and Carrot Hummus
- 3 cans (15 ounces) garbanzo beans (chickpeas) drained and rinsed
- 3 large large carrots peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus extra for drizzling and/or thinning
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoons ground smoked cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) artichoke hearts drained
- 2½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons tahini sauce
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425-degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine the drained chickpeas, chopped carrots, olive oil, coriander, smoked cumin and garlic powder. Toss evenly with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Stir well and return to the oven to roast an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Add the artichokes and cooled chickpeas to a high powered food blender or food processor.
- Add the water, lemon juice, tahini, salt and pepper. Blend or process until smooth.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Chill (if desired) and drizzle olive oil over top before serving.
- Serve with assorted fresh vegetables and/or pita chips.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.