Chicken Salad with Apricots and macadamia nuts makes a delicious summer meal when served in lettuce cups for a low-carb meal option, or between some delicious bread as a sandwich filling.
Whichever way you choose to serve and eat it, you're going to love this wonderful combination of flavors and textures.
The ingredient list:
- rotisserie chicken (about 6 cups of chopped chicken)
- avocado oil
- red onion
- red bell pepper
- fresh orange juice and orange zest
- macadamia nuts
- fresh tarragon
- dried apricots
- salt and pepper
- red cabbage (optional for presentation)
- butter lettuce leaves (optional for serving)
How this recipe came to be:
This sweet and savory creamy chicken salad recipe is one I developed because my husband and I started eating a low-carb diet.
All the ingredients I've used are relatively low in carbohydrates, with the exception of the dried apricots.
However, because there is only a small amount of dried apricots in this recipe (½ cup for 6 cups of chicken salad), and because dried apricots are also high in fiber, I considered them to be a healthy and flavorful option for this creamy chicken salad recipe.
Why this recipe works:
You can make this creamy chicken salad in advance and keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days. Once made, you'll be ready to serve it up at a moment's notice or to pack it in a cooler for a fun and tasty on-the-go picnic.
Creamy Chicken Salad Recipe tips:
- I find that a mix of dark and white meat chicken makes the best-tasting chicken salad. Store-bought rotisserie chicken is what I prefer when making a homemade chicken salad recipe.
- When using onions in a non-cooked salad, I enjoy a red onion and think it is the sweetest. You can adjust the amount of red onion in the recipe depending on your taste. Chopped shallots may be used in place of the red onion for a slightly milder onion flavor.
- Golden raisins make a good substitution for the dried apricots if you're not a fan of apricots.
- When dicing the vegetables, make sure they're all roughly the same size. I like mine to be about ¼" dice.
- Fresh orange juice and zest help to brighten the flavor of this creamy chicken salad recipe. I don't recommend leaving these out.
- Other chopped nuts may be substituted for the macadamia nuts if preferred.
- Once the chicken salad is made, chill covered in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours so the flavors can marry and meld.
- Always stir well before serving.
- This creamy chicken salad can keep in the refrigerator (covered) for up to 5 days.
- When serving chilled, don't allow this chicken salad to sit out for longer than 2 hours without refrigerating. If serving on a hot day, don't let it sit for more than 1 hour without refrigerating.
How to make low-carb chicken salad with apricots:
- In a large bowl, add 6 cups of boneless, skinless chicken, torn into bite-sized pieces.
- Stir in diced celery, red bell peppers, red onion, mayonnaise, and avocado oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add fresh orange juice and fresh orange zest
- Chop and add the dried apricots, macadamia nuts, and fresh tarragon.
- Stir well to combine and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving for the flavors to marry.
- Create a red cabbage bowl for presentation using a paring knife and an ice cream scoop, if desired.
- Serve on bread for sandwiches or in lettuce cups.
Additional rotisserie chicken recipes:
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Chicken Salad with Apricots
- citrus juicer optional
- 6 cups boneless/skinless chicken pieces, torn or cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1½ tablespoons fresh orange zest
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ cup chopped macadamia nuts
- ½ cup chopped, dried apricots
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped tarragon
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 red cabbage, hollowed into a bowl, optional
- butter lettuce leaves for serving, optional
- Add the first 13 ingredients into a large bowl and stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate the chicken salad at least 4 hours before serving.
- Serve chilled, on bread or lettuce cups.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's delicious chicken salad recipe featuring apricots as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!