Chocolate Pumpkin Bread is a rich, dark chocolate bread with a mildly spicy aroma of cloves and the seasonal flavor of pumpkin. This easy chocolate bread recipe is sure to be a hit no matter what time of year you serve it!
When I think of the scents that evoke warm holiday memories, for me cloves are in my top three favorites, along with cinnamon and nutmeg rounding out the list.
This recipe post and its contents may include affiliate links for your consideration. I may earn a commission from qualifying purchases, but your prices are never increased as a result. Thank you.
- The ingredient list :
- A quick hack for creating seasonal home scents:
- Why this recipe works:
- Can the walnuts be omitted from this recipe?
- Can this chocolate quick bread be frozen?
- Can this be made gluten-free?
- What are the dimensions of a standard loaf pan?
- The easy instructions:
- Additional quick bread recipes:
- Printable Recipe Card
The ingredient list :
*Please note that the exact measurements along with a new "shop the recipe" feature from Instacart is available in the printable recipe card.
- granulated sugar
- all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
- grapeseed or canola oil
- maple syrup
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- baking soda
- ground cloves
- pumpkin pie filling
- walnuts (optional)
A quick hack for creating seasonal home scents:
Sometimes when I'm looking for that cozy aroma and feeling, but I don't have time to bake, I'll fill a small saucepan with water and add some cinnamon sticks, an already used nub of nutmeg, a scant tablespoon of cloves (or a few whole cloves), and maybe a orange and or apple peel.
I then simmer it low and slow on the stovetop all day, making sure I replenish the water as it simmers away.
It never fails to brighten my day and brings me immediately into the holiday mood.
For me, the aroma is intoxicating and uplifting.
Why this recipe works:
The combination of each of these ingredients marry perfectly with one another but none of these strongly flavored ingredients overwhelm the other.
Can the walnuts be omitted from this recipe?
For the nut lover, I added walnuts to one loaf and left the other loaf nut-free.
I tend to prefer the nuts, but not everyone does. Whatever your preference, this is a quick bread that will soon become one of your absolute holidays (or anytime) favorites.
Can this chocolate quick bread be frozen?
It sure can.
Cool the bread completely and then wrap it well (either in slices or as a loaf) in a few layers of plastic wrap. This bread can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Can this be made gluten-free?
Yes. You can easily swap out any brand of gluten-free measure-by-measure flour and you're good to go.
What are the dimensions of a standard loaf pan?
Nine inches long by five inches wide.
The easy instructions:
- In a large bowl blend the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, and maple syrup.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cloves.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend until combined.
- Add the pumpkin puree into the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter into two prepared loaf pans that have been sprayed with baking spray, adding walnuts if desired.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 30 minutes and remove the loaf from the pan to cool for an additional 40 minutes.
Additional quick bread recipes:
Blueberry Banana Quick Bread with white chocolate and pecans is a definite upgrade from your typical banana loaf recipe. It's easy to make too!!
Yep, you read that right... Eggplant Zucchini Bread. It's so moist and flavorful, AND it's a great way to bump up the nutrition level of your next zucchini quick bread without anyone being the wiser.
This Italian Herb Quick Bread comes together in a snap with only one bowl, one spoon, and no kneading required. It's fast, easy, and super delicious!
When you make this recipe (and I hope that you will), I'd appreciate it if you'd take the time to come back and give it a star rating along with a comment on why you rated as you did. Google appreciates ratings on recipes and, in turn, will show my recipes to more people. Thank you!!
Printable Recipe Card
Chocolate Pumpkin Bread with Cloves
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup grapeseed oil or other light colored oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 - 2 cups chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius)
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and oil.
- In a second large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, salt, and ground cloves.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend until just combined.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree, and walnuts (if desired) until completely incorporated.
- Pour the batter evenly into two loaf pans that have been liberally sprayed with baking spray.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 60 - 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Turn the bread from the pans and cool for an additional 40 - 60 minutes.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed the recipe for this cocoa powder bread recipe with pumpkin & cloves as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you will come back and visit me often. Please know that there is always room for you around my kitchen table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen on my site, please don't hesitate to reach out to contact me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with you just as soon as I possibly can!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!