Chocolate Clove Pumpkin Bread is a rich, dark chocolate bread with a mildly spicy aroma of cloves and the seasonal flavor of pumpkin. This easy chocolate bread recipe is sure to be a hit no matter what time of year you serve it!
*Disclaimer - This recipe was originally published in 2013. I'm working hard to update all my older recipes with recipe cards, new photos, and additional recipe information. But, getting to all of them will take time. Please bear with me. In the meantime let me assure you that this recipe is still a winner and one I'm sure you'll be well pleased with when you make it at home.
When I think of the scents that evoke warm holiday memories, for me cloves are in my top three favorites, along with cinnamon and nutmeg rounding out the list.
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions and complete ingredient measurements for making Warm & Spicy Chocolate Bread Recipe with Pumpkin is available near the end of this post.
The ingredient list :
- granulated sugar
- all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
- grapeseed or canola oil
- maple syrup
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- baking soda
- ground cloves
- pumpkin pie filling
- walnuts (optional)
Sometimes when I'm looking for that cozy aroma and feeling, but I don't have time to bake, I'll fill a small saucepan with water and add some cinnamon stick, an already used nub of nutmeg, a scant tablespoon of cloves, and maybe orange and or apple peel. I then simmer it low and slow on the stovetop all day, making sure I replenish the water as it simmers away.
It never fails to brighten my day and brings me immediately into the holiday mood. For me, the aroma is intoxicating and uplifting.
The easy instructions:
- In a large bowl blend the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, and maple syrup.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cloves.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend until combined.
- Add the pumpkin puree into the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter into two prepared loaf pans that have been sprayed with baking spray, adding walnuts if desired.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 30 minutes and remove the loaf from the pan to cool for an additional 40 minutes.
Below is the printable recipe card for today's chocolate quick bread. If you've enjoyed this recipe, and are anxious to give it a try, I'd appreciate if you'd take a moment to give this recipe some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post, OR in the recipe card feature itself. 🙂
Chocolate Clove Pumpkin Bread
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup grapeseed oil, or other light colored oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 - 2 cups chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and oil.
- In a second large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, salt, and ground cloves.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend until just combined.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree, and walnuts (if desired) until completely incorporated.
- Pour the batter evenly into two loaf pans that have been liberally sprayed with baking spray.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 60 - 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Turn the bread from the pans and cool for an additional 40 - 60 minutes.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed the recipe for this cocoa powder bread recipe with pumpkin & cloves as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.