When it’s time for dessert, and you want to impress but not spend hours in the kitchen preparing, then these rustic Apple Puff Pastry Squares are just what the dessert doctor ordered.
When it comes to elegant desserts that don’t take a lot of time or effort to put together, these Rustic Apple Puff Pastry Squares take advantage of one of the best products you can purchase in the supermarket, frozen puff pastry sheets.
Another convenience product I used to make this recipe fast and easy comes from the ice cream topping section of the grocery store. With two simple jars of hot fudge and caramel sauce, you can drizzle until your heart’s content once the sauces are warmed in the microwave.
Whether you decide to serve these Apple Puff Pastry Squares, with or without your favorite ice cream flavor is up to you. Either way, you choose, you’ll be hearing applause from your family and friends, so you’d better be ready to take a bow!
Ready to see for yourself just how easy these Rustic Apple Puff Pastry Squares with a Chocolate Caramel Drizzle are to make? Good. Let’s get started. This recipe makes 8 squares.
Start by peeling, coring and slicing (¼” thickness), 3 pink lady apples (or your favorite variety). In a medium bowl, squeeze the juice of ½ lemon over the apple slices to prevent browning, and toss to coat. Set aside while preparing the puff pastry and the cream cheese filling.
Gently roll the puff pastry sheets so the creases from the folds are no longer visible. Use a knife of pizza cutter to divide the dough into 4 equal squares. Transfer the puff pastry squares to a parchment lined baking sheet. Set aside while preparing the filling. In a medium bowl, add 1 block (8 ounces) softened cream cheese, pure vanilla extract, ground cinnamon and ½ cup of marshmallow fluff.
Blend the filling ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Dollop approximately 2-3 tablespoon in the center of each puff pastry square.
Spread the filling over the pastry, leaving an approximate ½” border on all sides. Lay the prepared apple slices on top of the cream cheese filling mixture and sprinkle the top of the apples with granulated sugar.
Bake the squares in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, rotating the baking sheets half way through the baking. Remove the baked squares from the oven, and cool completely. Once cooled, use a fork to drizzle warmed hot fudge and caramel sauce over the pastry and top with flaked sea salt, if desired. Serve plain or with your favorite ice cream.
The following Amazon.com items are some suggested products I’ve chosen that will aid you in the making, and serving of this recipe, if needed. By clicking on the item, you’ll be taken directly to Amazon.com if you’re interested in purchasing any of these products. You are in no way required to do so, and you will not be charged in any way unless you decide to purchase a product through Amazon.
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheets (1 box), thawed
- 3 pink lady apples (or your favorite varietal), peeled, cored, and sliced into ¼" thickness
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, (½ a lemon)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup marshmallow fluff
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 jar hot fudge sauce
- 1 jar caramel sauce
- flaked sea salt, optional
- ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the apple slices by tossing them in a bowl with the fresh lemon juice. Set aside.
- Gently roll the puff pastry sheets so the fold lines no longer are visible.
- Use a knife or pizza wheel to cut each sheet into 4 equal size squares.
- Transfer the squares onto parchment lined baking sheets. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, blend together the cream cheese, vanilla, cinnamon, and marshmallow fluff until smooth and creamy.
- Dollop approximately 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture into the center or each square and spread the filling evenly making sure to leave a ½ border around each side.
- Place the apple slices in a single layer over the cream cheese mixture on each pastry square.
- Sprinkle the tops of the apples evenly with the granulated sugar.
- Bake the pastry in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, making sure to rotate the baking sheets half way through the baking.
- Remove the baked, puffed pastry from the oven and cool completely.
- Once the apple pastry has cooled, microwave the chocolate and caramel sauces (according to the directions on the jars), and drizzle the sauces over the cooled apple slices using a fork.
- Sprinkle the top of each pastry with a light amount of flaked sea salt (if desired).
- Serve plain, or with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
2 Baking sheets
Apple slicer, corer or a chefs knife and cutting board
Ice cream scoop (optional)
knife or offset spatula
Cooking AND Baking is like love…You know the rest 🙂
All of my hand painted aprons are completely machine washable, and dryable. This Julia Child quote apron has been one of my most popular apron designs to date. Each of my hand painted aprons are a chef quality 65/35 cotton poly blend. They each have an adjustable neck strap, extra long ties, and two large front pockets. Personalization (if requested) is always free.
If there is ever anything I can paint for you, from fabrics to glassware items, please don’t hesitate to contact me or visit one of my shops: Etsy and Wazala. Custom orders are always welcome and I will happily paint and design from any idea, photo, or description you send my way.
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
The post above includes affiliate links. When I find a great product or service, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn commission for my recommendations. As always, I thank you for your support!