*Disclaimer - This recipe was originally published in 2014. I'm working hard to update all my older recipes with recipe cards, new photos, and additional recipe information. But, getting to all of them will take time. Please bear with me. In the meantime let me assure you that this recipe is still a winner and one I'm sure you'll be well pleased with when you make it at home.
As I was clearing out my fridge (something I need to do a whole lot more often), I found some ricotta cheese in the back that was nearing its expiration date.
Since I always have lemons in the fridge, and I have always wanted to make lemon ricotta cookies...now was the perfect time to make these Light & Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Almonds.
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions and complete ingredient measurements for making Light & Lemon Ricotta Cookies with almonds is available near the end of this post. OR click on the "jump to recipe" (shown below) to be taken directly to the recipe.Jump to Recipe
There are a ton of recipes online for ricotta cookies and the one I chose to work from is Lidia's from Lidia's Italy.
The only thing I did differently with Lidia's recipe is that I added some chopped, toasted almonds because I adore nuts in just about everything, and I swapped out the vanilla extract for almond extract!
Naturally, if you're not a nut lover (or you're baking for someone with a nut allergy), this ingredient is entirely optional.
I also played around just a bit with Lidia's icing, and to finish I decided to garnish the cookies with just a tiny pinch of fresh lemon zest for that little touch of color. Sorry for the changes Lidia, but I think you would actually approve!
These cookies are incredibly tender and cake-like due to the ricotta cheese, so if you're looking for a crispy cookie with a lot of crunch, you'd better move along.
However, if you're looking for a luscious lemon cookie that you can really sink your teeth into, you'd better print this recipe for Light & Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Almonds right now! 😉
The ingredient list:
- butter (I like to use salted butter)
- granulated sugar
- ricotta cheese
- almond extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- salt (I use kosher)
- lemon zest
- toasted almonds
- confectioners sugar
- fresh lemon juice
- In a large bowl blend together the granulated sugar and butter. Add the eggs, ricotta cheese, and almond extract.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into the wet mixture and blend just until the dough comes together. Gently stir in the almonds.
- Drop the dough by tablespoons onto parchment-lined baking sheets and bake in a preheated oven.
- Ice the cookies with the lemon glaze and finish with a light touch of lemon zest.
Below is the printable recipe card for today's Light & Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Almonds.
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Light & Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Almonds
To make the cookies;
- 1 stick butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped, toasted almonds, optional
To make the icing;
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest, as garnish (optional)
To make the cookies;
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl with a hand mixer), cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs (one at a time) and beat well after each addition, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Blend in the ricotta cheese and almond extract.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt.
- Working in increments, slowly add the flour mixture into the ricotta mixture (⅓ at a time), mixing each addition until just combined. *Note - The less you mix, the more tender the cookies will be.
- Add the nuts and blend until just combined.
- Drop the dough by tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets (12-15 per sheet).
- Bake for 22-25 minutes in preheated oven, rotating the cookie sheets halfway through baking.
- Cool completely on wire rack before ricing.
To make the icing;
- Stir or whisk the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and almond extract until smooth.
- Dip the tops of each cooled cookie into the icing allowing the excess to drip off.
- Garnish the wet icing with a pinch of lemon zest on each cookie.
- Serve and enjoy!
I hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for Light & Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Almonds as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
If you're at all interested in making your own homemade ricotta cheese, it's easier than you might think and I've got a great recipe for you to try.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!