Did you know that the year 2018 on the Chinese calendar is the year of the dog? Seems like good luck to me! I love dogs!
Even though my recipe for this Chinese Ground Pork Egg Roll Bowl has nothing to do with dogs (except that I have three dogs in my Kudos Kitchen pretty much at all times), this dish will leave you drooling and begging for more. LOL. See what I did there? Dog humor 🙂
This recipe for Chinese Ground Pork Egg Roll Bowl is my take on a deconstructed egg roll. In place of the crispily fried eggroll wrapper, I've used chow mein noodles for crunch as a top garnish along with scallions, and chopped peanuts (which are entirely optional).
The other ingredients you'll need to make this Chinese Ground Pork Egg Roll Bowl are;
- ground pork
- peanut oil
- coleslaw mix
- shredded carrots (if desired)
- oyster sauce
- ground ginger
- ground coriander
- water chestnuts
- sesame oil
- soy sauce (I use low sodium)
- rice vinegar
- salt and pepper
- scallions and peanuts (optional)
I know it seems like a long grocery list of items, but if you cook a lot of Chinese food at home, or plan to in the future, then all these items are ones you'll put to good use, and they'll be well worth the initial purchase price.
I made my Chinese Ground Pork Egg Roll Bowl in a wok I've had for many years. Even though I enjoy cooking in my wok (I'll leave an affiliate link below in case you'd like to add a wok to your kitchen arsenal), it's not necessary to have one to make this dish. Any large, high sided skillet will work.
The key is to get your pan as hot as possible before adding the peanut oil (because it has a very high smoke point), and the food. After that, it's all about keeping the food moving in the pan and stirring frequently.
If you're ready to begin making a Chinese Ground Pork Egg Roll Bowl, let's get cooking. This dish will be done in a matter of minutes.
In a large skillet over high heat, add peanut oil and the ground pork. Stir well. Add oyster sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, ground ginger, ground coriander, sesame oil, soy sauce and rice vinegar. (Please find the exact measurements in the printable recipe card below.). Cook until the pork is no longer pink. Remove the browned pork to a bowl. Keep warm. In the same pan, add additional peanut oil and the coleslaw mix, along with additional shredded carrots (if desired).
To the slaw and carrots, add rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, ground ginger, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the veggies are crisp-tender. Add the cooked pork back into the pan and stir well to combine. Lastly, add scallions and chopped water chestnuts and stir well. Serve in a large bowl topped with chow mein noodles, chopped peanuts, and additional chopped scallions (if desired).
**Below is the Amazon affiliate link for a wok and a few Chinese cookbooks. By clicking on the pictures you'll be taken directly to Amazon.com to window shop for these products, and purchase if you desire. You are under no obligation whatsoever make any purchases. It's just fun for me to be able to offer items I think you may enjoy, and also potentially make a small profit from the affiliate program.**
Tasty Ground Pork Egg Roll Bowl Kudos Kitchen Style
- 1½ pounds ground pork
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil divided
- 2 bags 14 ounces coleslaw shreds
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper divided
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger divided
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoons sesame oil divided
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce low sodium preferred
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar divided
- 1 cup roughly chopped water chestnuts
- ½ chopped scallions divided
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- ½ cup chopped peanuts (garnish)
- Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of peanut oil and the ground pork.
- Brown the pork in the oil, stirring occasionally.
- To the browned pork, add 2 tablespoons of the oyster sauce, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, ½ teaspoon sesame oil, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook until the pork is no longer pink, stirring to thoroughly combine.
- Remove the pork from the pan and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of peanut oil to the pan along with the coleslaw mix and the shredded carrots. Stir in the remaining ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, and pepper. Stir well and add the browned pork back to the pan. Stir well to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the chopped water chestnuts and ¼ cup of the scallions to the pan. Toss to combine.
- Spoon into a large bowl and top with the remaining scallions, chow mein noodles, and chopped peanuts, if desired.
I have a few other Chinese and Asian inspired recipes on my blog that I think you'll also enjoy. Please click on the following titles to be taken directly to the recipes for:
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed this recipe for Tasty Chinese Ground Pork Egg Roll Bowl as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions regarding this recipe, or anything else you see on my site, please don't hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to reply to your questions just as quickly as possible.
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware and fabric items, please visit me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
The post above includes affiliate links. When I find a great product or service, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn a small commission for my recommendations. As always, I thank you for your support!