Chocolate Malted Peppermint Sweet Rolls with chocolate malt icing may take a bit of time and effort to make, but they're totally worth every minute.
Deliciously Easy White Chocolate Ghost Pops (mentioned above), the second was Double Chocolate Cheesecake with Chocolate Espresso Cracker Crust, third was for my Old Fashioned Chocolate Caramel Turtle Fudge with Pecans. And finally today (with the recipe following shortly), Chocolate Malted Peppermint Sweet Rolls with Chocolate Malt Icing. How's THAT for some delicious chocolate recipes?
Here's a quick slide-show video I made to show you exactly how to make these Chocolate Malted Peppermint Sweet Rolls with Chocolate Malt Icing. I hope you enjoy it:
Printable Recipe Card
Chocolate Malted Peppermint Sweet Rolls
For the dough:
- 1 cup milk warmed to the touch, but not hot
- 5 tablespoons butter (I use salted) melted
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 package (2¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons chocolate malted powder
- coconut oil spray
For the filling:
- 6 tablespoons butter (I use salted) softened
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candy
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the icing:
- 2½ cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (I use salted) melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chocolate malted powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candy
To make the dough:
- Add the warm milk, melted butter and granulated sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the yeast to the milk and butter mixture and stir well to combine.
- Allow the mixture to sit and get foamy (approximately 10 minutes).
- Stir the flour, salt, egg, cocoa powder, and chocolate malt powder to the bowl and stir slight to combine.
- Switch to the dough hook for the stand mixer and thoroughly knead the dough until it comes away from the sides of the bowl, and forms a soft ball (at least 7 minutes).
- Transfer the dough to an bowl that has been sprayed with coconut oil and cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Allow the dough to rise until doubled in bulk in a warm, draft free place (approximately 90 minutes).
- Turn the dough out and pat (or roll) the dough into an approximate 12" x 17" rectangle
To make the filling:
- Spread the softened butter evenly over the entire surface of the dough.
- Top the dough with ½ cup of the crushed peppermint, and ½ cup of the chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough, lengthwise to form a cylinder.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the cylinder into even circles (12-15)
- Place the rolls into a 9" x 13" baking dish that has been sprayed with coconut oil spray.
- Place the rolls in a warm, draft free place to rise until doubled in volume (approximately 90 minutes).
- Once doubled, preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake the rolls for 30-35 minutes. Until a toothpick inserted into the center of the dough comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool for at least 30 minutes.
- While the sweet rolls are cooling, prepare the icing.
To make the icing:
- Add all the icing ingredients into a medium bowl, and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Spread the icing liberally over each sweet roll and sprinkle the top of each roll with the remaining ½ cup of the crushed peppermint candy.
Zip-top bag and mallet or rolling pin (for crushing candy)
9" x 13" baking dish
coconut oil spray
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!