This Mega-Sized Peanut Butter Cup will delight an entire crowd with its fun presentation and super delicious filling of peanut butter, coconut, and pecans. It’s not your average peanut butter cup. It’s mega amazing!
Even though the presentation of this Mega-Sized Peanut Butter Cup may look difficult to recreate and intimidating, let me assure you that his no-bake dessert is super simple to put together. All you need is a round tart pan with a removable bottom, and you’re good to go. I’ll link to an amazon affiliate link below to purchase a round tart pan if you don’t already have one.
I’ve even made a quick video for you so you can see the process from start to finish. The only other thing you’ll need to make the process of putting together this Mega-Sized Peanut Butter Cup quick and painless is a freezer. And I’m fairly certain everyone has one of those.
To see more of my quick and easy to prepare food videos, please visit and subscribe to my YouTube channel.
I’d had the ingredients for this dessert in my kitchen pantry for some time but I hadn’t actually planned on making a mega-sized peanut butter cup. What I was planning on making (until time got the better of me) are these cute little peanut butter Easter eggs that I’d made and shared several years ago. Back in April of 2011 to be exact.
My plan was to remake and rephotograph the candy Easter egg recipe and build a video around them. However, I never quite got to do that and because I still wanted to use the ingredients, and I LOVED the flavor of those peanut butter Easter eggs SO much, I decided to turn the eggs into a mega sized peanut butter cup instead. After all, a mega sized peanut butter cup can be brought out and shared all year through. Unlike the eggs which, much like the Cadbury bunny, only appear at Easter.
The grocery list of ingredients and measurements needed to make this mega-sized peanut butter cup are the following:
2 bags (4 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips,1 tablespoon shortening, 3/4 cup peanut butter (chunky or smooth), 1/4 cup butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, 3/4 cup flaked coconut (toasted), 1/2 cup chopped pecans (toasted), 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 3 tablespoons heavy cream, and 1/2 cup peanut butter chips for the final drizzle (optional).
To toast the pecan chips and coconut, heat a dry skillet over medium heat. Add the ingredients, stirring frequently until the nuts and coconut are lightly toasted and fragrant. However, If you’re not a fan of coconut and pecans, they’re optional so carry on without them.
I use my microwave at 50% power to melt the chocolate. I took it out of the microwave several times to stir it until it was smooth and creamy. You can also use a double boiler on the stovetop to do this but just make sure that the boiling water in the bottom pot does not come in contact with the bottom of the top pot. Chocolate is best melted at a low temperature and stirred frequently.
The following Amazon.com items are some suggested products I’ve chosen that will aid you in the making of this recipe for a Mega-Sized Peanut Butter Cup, if needed. By clicking on the item, you’ll be taken directly to Amazon.com if you’re interested in purchasing any of these products. You are in no way required to do so, and you will not be charged in any way unless you decide to purchase a product through Amazon.
- 2 bags (4 cups total) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- ¾ cup peanut butter, chunky or smooth
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- ½ cup peanut butter chips, optional for garnish
- baking spray
- In a microwave safe bowl, or a double boiler, slowly melt the chocolate and shortening until smooth and creamy.
- Spray a 9" tart pan with a removable bottom with baking spray.
- Pour ¾ of the melted chocolate in the tart pan and use a spatula to work the chocolate smoothly up the sides of the pan and over the bottom. Making sure there is equal thickness all around.
- Carefully place the chocolate filled tart pan on a baking sheet (lift the pan from the sides, not the bottom) and place the pan in the freezer while preparing the filling.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to blend the softened butter, peanut butter, powdered sugar and heavy cream. Switch to a wooden spoon or spatula and stir in the toasted nuts and coconut.
- Remove the tart pan from the freezer and spoon the filling evenly into the chocolate shell.
- Pour the remaining melted chocolate evenly over the top of the peanut butter filling and smooth to the edges. Return the tart to the freezer to firm.
- If desired, melt the peanut butter chips and drizzle over the top of the tart before serving.
- Slice and serve at room temperature.
9" tart pan with removable bottom
microwave safe bowl or double boiler
I’m coordinating this recipe for a mega-sized peanut butter cup with a fun and whimsical martini glass that would be perfect for anyone that loves their chocolate martinis! This glass is available for purchase IN MY SHOP if you’re interested.
All of my hand painted glassware items come in their own gift boxes. Each and every item I ship is painted to order and unique. Items can be personalized at no extra charge, if requested. Please contact me if there is something I can paint for you. Custom orders are always welcome!
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
The post above includes affiliate links. When I find a great product or service, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn commission for my recommendations. As always, I thank you for your support!